༒chapter nine༒

"What are you doing?"

I grab George's arm and pull him down onto the seat on the picnic table. "Be quiet, George."

"Grayson," he corrects.

"I don't care, just zip it." I put my sunglasses up onto my nose again, putting a book in front of my face.

I see Evie walk up to Doug with a piece of paper.

"Why are you stalking my cousin?" George asks.

"Why are you stalking me?" I ask, not taking my eyes off the pair as Evie shows Doug the piece of paper. They start talking, and she sits down.

"You don't have a crush on him, do you?"

"No, of course not," I reply. "But Evie likes him. And I like to know what the people my friends like are up to. I think Doug is a good person for Evie."

"How sweet."

"I'm normally not."

"I have been looking for you literally everywhere!" Mal says loudly, walking over to Evie and Doug. Evie says something and Mal puts her hand down on the table. "Ben just asked me out on—a date."

Evie grabs the paper and gets up and grabs Mal's hand.

Mal turns to me before they can get far enough away. "Get that stupid disguise off, Harper, and come on."

I let my glasses slide down my nose a little bit. "How'd you know it was me?"

"We are the only people that wear leather at this school."

I glance at my clothes. "Right, okay," I say, getting up before walking with them.

"Bye!" George yells after me.

"Yup!" I reply.

"Okay, easy on the blush," Mal says as Evie keeps applying blush to Mal's cheeks. "I don't want to scare him away."

"I don't think you can," I say from my spot on my bed.

Mal looks at me weirdly.

"I mean, the Hades bloodline is attractive."

Evie giggles when Mal rolls her eyes, but she starts laughing anyway.

"My mom taught me how to apply blush before I could talk," Evie says, "Always use upwards strokes."

"My mom was never really big on makeup tips," Mal says. "And I never had a sister that knows how to do it." She looks over at me.

I put my hands up. "I know how to do it, just not as well as Evie."

Evie smiles. "Well, now you both have one. We're all gonna need all the family we can get if we don't pull this off. My mother's not a barrel of laughs when she doesn't get her way." She rolls her eyes. "Just ask Snow White."