༒chapter twenty-nine༒

"There they are," Evie says as Mal and Ben walk through the tunnel into the open area

"Look, Greg, I swear to my father, if you ask me on a date one more time, I'm going to let you swim with the killer sharks. That is a promise. Now go annoy a different girl."

I huff and look over at Mal and Evie.

"A bit harsh, Harper," Jay says to me.

"Look, Harper—"

"I'm dating someone, Gabriel."

"Really? What's his name?"

"You don't know him personally. Now leave."

Mal and Ben walk through, shaking hands and bowing to people as they walk up a set of stairs and go onto the balcony. "Lady Mal and I would like to thank you for celebrating our engagement with us today," Ben says. "I couldn't be prouder or happier to call you my queen." They smile at each other before Ben raises his glass. "So, raise your glasses. To our future Queen of Auradon."

"To our Queen of Auradon!" everyone says in unison, raising their glasses.

"Speech, your Special-ness," Carlos says dramatically.

"Speech, your Fancy One," Jay says formally.

Everyone laughs at the two of them.

"Oh, please tell me she's not gonna start crying," I whisper to Evie when Mal stops laughing and actually looks like she's going to cry.

"I can't."

Oh god. Everyone gasps.

"I can't be Queen of Auradon."

"Mal—" Ben starts.

"I can't turn my back on the Isle," she says. "We made a decision to close the barrier forever. And it was my idea. But it's wrong. I've learned that you can't live in fear. Because it doesn't actually protect you from anything." She chuckles. "You never know where the bad is gonna come from. And you never know where the heroes are gonna come from either. Without Uma and her pirates, Auradon would be gone." She looks down and smiles, nodding a little. "And without Hades," she looks at me again, "my father," everyone gasps and I smirk a little, "Audrey would be gone."

Audrey glances at the ground. Then she looks up at me with tears in her eyes. I sigh and say, "Come on." She furrows her brows. I nod and she smiles before we give each other a side hug.

"We are all capable of good and bad," Mal continues, "no matter which side of the barrier we come from. And that's why I can't be Queen of just Auradon. I have to be Queen of the Isle too." Audrey and I release each other. "And it's time that we take the barrier down forever."

"We can't do that," Beast says.

"It's up to us, Dad," Ben says. "I choose to be a King who moves forward. It's time for forgiveness. It's time for new beginnings. The barrier will come down!"

I turn to Jay and jump onto him. He starts laughing when I squeeze him tightly. I step away from him and turn to Carlos.

"Yes!" the two of us shout at the same time, jumping to each other and hugging.

"Bring it down, Mal," Ben says.

Carlos and I step away from each other as we all start clapping. Mal waves us over. Jay grabs Evie's hand, so I grab Carlos' and we all run up the stairs and to Mal.

As we get up to Mal, she points Fairy Godmother's wand towards the Isle.

"To make the world a better place," Mal starts.

"We have to do it face to face," we all finish together.

When Mal points the wand at the Isle again, it get covered in a gold mist. The cloud above it recedes, the barrier disappears, and the road forms by itself.

We all laugh. I don't wait any more time before I'm running down the stairs, grabbing my hat, and going toward the Isle with everyone else. The others run after me so we can walk the road together.

We meet in the middle and Uma hugs me first. We spin around and laugh. I mess up Gil's hair before Harry grabs me and pulls me into a hug.

I lean back and grab his shirt. "What are these?"

"Ruffles."

I look up at him and raise my brows.

"What?"

I start laughing, grabbing his wrist as we all start towards Auradon again.

I stand with all the others in Auradon while our Isle kids stop at the border into Auradon. We all bow to them. When we stand up, they start laughing and run towards us.

Uma, Mal, and I all get into a group hug, laughing. Jay grabs me and pushes me towards Harry. People start making a bit of conversation until we all face the border, where there is a paper dragon with green eyes moving around.

Mal laughs and looks at me, pointing to it. "That's you!" I shout, which makes her laugh more. Harry grabs my hands while the music is playing and he starts spinning me around and dancing. I laugh into his shoulder.

I glance around as Gabriel comes up to us. When he goes to say something, Harry starts towards him, pointing at him. His eyes widen and he nods, walking off quickly. I laugh and hug Harry.

"Am I invited to the wedding?"

I stop dancing with Harry and look next to us at Mal and Ben.

"Hi—Dad," Ben says. "Uh—uh."

Harry and I cover our mouths to stop ourselves from laughing. It doesn't work.

Dad looks over at me. "Oh, the hook is back."

Harry clears his throat and goes to wave. "I—uh—um—hi?"

Mal and I are already starting for Dad. He opens he arms. "Come here, my girls," he says, hugging us.

Harry and Ben caustiously make their way towards us. Mal and I turn and smile, nudging each other.

"I'm sure you're all be very happy together," Dad says.

Mal hugs Ben as I go to hug Harry. Harry smiles and kisses the side of my head, wrapping his arms around my waist. He clears his throat after a second. Him and Ben both laugh nervously and let us go at the same time.

"What are those?" Dad asks, pointing at Harry's ruffles.

I start laughing as Harry blows some hair out of his face. Mal and I walk next to Dad. Ben and Harry are on the other side of him. Ben pats him on the back. "Welcome to Auradon."

He regrets it as soon as he does it because Dad stops and glares at him. Harry tries not to laugh, but he shuts up quickly because he also gets a glare.

Family dinners will be fun.