5. 𝐹𝑖𝑟𝑒𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑘𝑠

October 26, 2021

Xavier

I rubbed Cleo's pregnant stomach and smiled to myself whenever I felt the babies kick. We looked out at the busy dance floor as we sat in the sitting area, and she sighed in my hold. "Okay, that's the fifth time. What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Cleo..." I warned.

"Okay, okay," she said softly as she lifted her head off of her chest to look up at me. "I feel like I'm ruining your and Caspian's fun."

"Why do you feel like that?"

"I can't go places with you guys anymore, and I can't even dance for longer than two minutes without my feet going crazy," she explained. "And then look at us now. Cas is getting me lemonade and you're sitting on a couch with me during a party."

"Baby..."

"I'm sorry I'm boring these days, I'll try to do mor—"

"Don't finish that sentence," I said as a flicker of anger ignited in me. "You are more than your activity status, baby. We don't care if you're bungee jumping with us, or binge-watching one of those dumb shows you like. You're fun all the time, no matter what we're doing."

"Really?" She asked as a slow smile spread across her face.

"Yes, and you have to keep in mind that you are PREGNANT. You are carrying two children that are—more or less, draining your energy. We get that you're not going to feel good all the time, but we appreciate you. I could never begin to imagine what you're going through in your body so damnit if you want to sit during a party, my ass is right next to you."

Her bottom lip quivered at my words and I shook my head. "Please no." She made a high-pitched noise before sobbing and I let out a breath. She hurried her face into my chest as she cried and I kissed her forehead before shaking my head. I knew better than to do that since she was so emotional, but I hated her feeling insecure. "Baby...you're going to cry about ruining your makeup if you don't stop."

She nodded as she lifted her head and sniffled heavily as she wiped her tears. "I-I'm sorry," she said between breaths. "I've j-just been feeling horrible...because of not being a-able to do things with you guys."

"Stop thinking like that, okay?" I assured her as I wiped away her tears with the pad of my thumb. "No one is thinking that, I swear to you it's all in your mind." She nodded at my reply and took deep breaths to calm down.

"What the fuck is going on here?" Syn mumbled as he took the seat across from us. I rubbed Cleo's back comfortingly as she glared at him and I kissed her head to relax her. Syn and she hadn't been seeing eye to eye at all for the past few weeks. He'd make a comment and she'd start crying and he'd have no idea what he did. It was hilarious to see him so shocked, but I didn't like her so sad. I was able to keep them separated for the most part, but tonight had to be an exception.

"We're just talking," I said calmly and Cleo nodded.

"Sounds fun," he spoke lowly as he looked around in boredom. When he couldn't find anything of interest around him, he sighed and looked back at Cleo. "How is your day going?"

"Like you care," she mumbled in annoyance.

"I don't, but I'm making conversation. You know what that is, don't you?"

"Syn..." I warned.

"You're a dick." Cleo scrunched up her nose in disgust before grabbing her purse along with her water and standing up. I tried to reach for her but she shook her head and stood back. "I just need air. I suddenly feel suffocated."