43. 𝐶𝑜𝑚𝑒 𝐵𝑎𝑐𝑘 𝑇𝑜 𝑀𝑒

May 10, 2023

Queen

Syn and I walked out of his bedroom and I half expected to find everyone still in the living room, but when I saw it empty, I wondered how long ago they left. I didn't hear them go...but then again I wasn't exactly listening. "Where is everyone?"

"They left earlier when I went to get your bag from your room."

I raised a brow and he took my hand in his as we walked down the hall. "Did they leave because of you?"

"Why would they do that?" He glanced back at me as we headed toward the stairs.

"Because you scare them."

"I scare them?" He paused. "How? I'm so nice."

"That's what I was saying," I teased.

He shook his head and ushered me in front of him. "They were welcome to stay," he said. "I didn't do anything."

"Mhmm." His hands remained on my hips as we walked up the steps and down the hall to Saint's room. The dark cabin was a lot less scary when Syn was with me. He guided me to Saint's door and I opened it, taking a step inside.

Syn flipped the lights on and our eyes moved to Saint who was sitting up in the middle of the Queen-sized bed in the room. He beamed up at us and opened his arms for us to carry him but I crossed my arms and squinted my eyes at him suspiciously.

Syn picked him up, planting kisses on his face as he whispered happy birthday wishes. When he looked at me, he raised a brow and I shook my head. "I put him in the crib," I said, pointing to the corner of the room where it stood. "I don't know how he gets out."

"Considering who he is I think that should be the least of our worries," he replied.

"But it is worrisome," I said. "It started out with the crib, then he'll be able to leave a room and then the house. We could wake up one morning and he could be sitting in a tree outside, Syn."

He smiled at me, resting his cheek on Saint's head. "He'll be okay," he assured me.

I exhaled, letting my worries leave my body before walking toward him and Syn. Saint's eyes landed on me and I smiled down at him before kissing his cheek. "Hey baba," I whispered. "Happy freaking birthday!" I grabbed his small hand and quietly cheered and he screamed in excitement, making my ears ring.

I winced and placed a hand over my ear. "Okay, you can calm down now."

"It's late," Syn said as he glanced at the clock on the wall. "He should go to sleep, we have a long day ahead of us."

I felt an immediate pang of guilt jab at my side when I remembered what we had to do. We were going to stop by the hospital to check in on Aiden before going to celebrate Saint's birthday. I told Syn I was okay with going alone and meeting him back here, but he insisted on just coming and waiting in the car with Saint.

I hated even having to go but what type of person would I be if I didn't go see him? I only hoped Syn actually understood my reasons and wasn't just putting on some façade to make me feel better.

"Are you coming?"

My attention snapped back to the moment at hand and I looked at Syn who was holding out the covers on the bed for me. Saint was in front of him, tugging at the pink satin bonnet on his head and I smiled before joining them.

I laid down on Saint's other side and he immediately turned his small head toward me. His eyes floated to the top of my head where he noticed the same type of bonnet on me that was on Syn. His small hand reached out to touch it and I laughed, slowly moving away from him and making a frustrated crease appear on his face.