56. 𝑊𝘩𝑦 𝑀𝑒?

May 10, 2023

Queen

I cleared my throat and took cautious steps toward him. When I was about a foot away, I clasped my hands together in front of me and raised my brows. "What's up? What's going on?"

"That was Hades...on the phone."

"I heard."

He nodded, looking me up and down before meeting my eye once again. I dreaded the next coming moments, missing the carefree Syn from five minutes ago. "He stayed at the condo with Stella and me...but he was out late and just got home."

"Okay...did he have fun?"

"He found Stella dead in her room," he said to me. "From what he can tell, it was an overdose...but something is leading him to suspect that there was some foul play."

"Oh no..." I whispered, trying my best to sound like I genuinely cared about the news. "Poor thing. Rest In Peace to her, amen."

"Right." He nodded slowly. "Except, Stella was very careful with mixing alcohol and drugs...at least when it came to herself. And she knew better than to take so much Capxica at once."

"Well." I shrugged. "You never know. Maybe she was unhappy."

"Good point."

"We should start packing for—"

"But the thing about Stella," he started again, making me fight the urge to roll my eyes. "...she loved herself way too much to ever just kill herself. I'm almost starting to think that Hades may be on to something."

"Okay, well." I crossed my arms. "She was your girlfriend. You can investigate and avenge her killer or whatever the fuck. I don't care." I waved my hand in the air, feeling a tinge of jealousy and irritation that he cared so much about a girl that was harming him so deeply in ways I doubt he knew.

"Why are you getting upset?"

"I'm not upset," I said. "I didn't know the girl nor did I like her. I'm sorry that I don't care that she's no longer around like you do."

"That's not what I care about."

"Whatever, Syn." I shook my head.

"I just..." he sighed. "I'm just thinking about it...and it would really take a monster to do what was done to Stella. I don't even think I would've been able to do such a thing to someone."

"Oh, so you kill people every other day but no...an overdose is where the line is drawn." I laughed bitterly.

"It's just so...wicked." He shivered. "I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it."

My heart sank at his words and I looked at him blankly. How could he say that when he kept people alive to torture them forever? I may have been impulsive with Stella but at least I made it quick. It was a lot more than she deserved after what she did.

"Don't you think you're being a little dramatic?" I asked. "Whether or not it was an accident, she's dead. Who cares?"

He held a hand over his chest and frowned. "I care. She was one of the best people I knew."

"Syn, I will fuck you up. Stop playing with me—"

"Why did you do it?" He asked.

I gave him a confused look, tilting my head. "What ever are you referring to?"

"Stella," he said. "I know you had something to do with it, I'm just asking why."

"What makes you think I had anything to do with it?" I asked. "Did you not just tell Hades you had no idea what happened? That makes the two of us because..." I blew out a breath and placed my hands on my hips. "...I'm just confused, more than anyone, I'm sure. What took place tonight...it's despicable. When you find out what really happened, I'd like to be the first to know so I can take matters into my own hands because...How. Dare. They?"