138. 𝑺𝒂𝒚 𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝑳𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝑴𝒆

Queen

I relaxed into my father's arms as he hugged me. The moment he saw me, I could see in his eyes that he knew exactly what was happening in my head. I don't know why I expected any less. He must've known from experiencing it with Lilith. Yet he cried and pulled me into his arms. He kissed the top of my head and whispered countless I'm glad you're okays and I love yous. So much so that the guilt lingering in me from Lilith's death was beginning to slip away.

"Dad." I looked up at him. "Do I seem different to you?"

His eyes were watery as he smiled down at me and held my face. "Yes, you're different, my love. But you're not in any pain?" I shook my head slowly. "Your mother was always in pain in the beginning. She fought hard to keep the dark spirits at bay."

I let out a small laugh. "Is that what I was supposed to do? Fight it?" I looked up at him in question. Should I have fought harder? How long would I have been able to keep that up? I would've driven myself to the brink of insanity before the dark magic had time to do any damage to me.

He tucked my hair behind my ears and shook his head. "No. You do what's good for you, sweetheart. Lilith did what she thought was best and for the person she turned out to be...I guess it was best. But you," his smile grew, "you are not her. You will create the path best for you, and the people who love you will accept it— no matter what."

Good or bad, is what he wanted to add to the end of it, but he didn't. For my sake, I guess.

"You should know," I said. "Before someone else besides me tells you... Mom—"

"I figured," he said.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be," he said. "I'm sure there was a reason and besides, my Lilith died that night you were taken from us. She died right there with me, and I've mourned her loss a long time ago. Don't be sorry for me, Queen."

I nodded. I hoped he wasn't saying that just to make me feel better.

He gave me one more hug and when he pulled away, he said, "I assume you want to rest up a bit, hm?"

"A little."

"I won't keep you then," he said. "I will come see you later, okay?"

I gave him a nod and he squeezed my hands one more time before walking past me. A thought passed my head in that moment and I turned to him. "Dad," I called out. When he turned back around, I stepped forward and circled my arms around him. "Thank you."

He seemed surprised as he patted my back. "What for?"

I took a step back. "For staying with Syn...and believing him. I appreciate it."

He laughed softly. "I can't say with one hundred percent honesty that I stayed for his sake, sweetheart. I was heartbroken when I found out what happened. Believing him...it suspended that heartbreak. One day at a time."

"Still," I said.

At least he was there. That much couldn't be said for a few other people, but I promised myself I'd let it go.

"Hm. Then you're welcome," he said. "Go rest. Eat. Stop overthinking— the best path to follow is the one that requires the least amount of thought." He walked backwards until he was far enough to give me a wave and then he rounded the corner.

I smiled at the tidbit of advice. It seemed like a lesson for idiots. Not for people like me who felt like they now had the weight of the world on their shoulders...But maybe I needed to consider it.

It was duly noted.

I looked down at the mess I was before sighing and walking into Syn's room. Everything was the same, not that he decorated much anyway or even been here. I walked to the restroom and undressed, taking notice of the fact that he wasn't here yet. I contemplated locking the door, but why would I? I pondered the question until I caught my reflection in the mirror.