14. 𝑇𝑎𝑠𝑡𝑒

May 1, 2023

Syn

I rolled my eyes as I stepped out of the car and slammed the door. I planned to be here a lot earlier, but my phone had managed to direct me towards the busiest roads. I was sure Queen had arrived here a lot earlier than I did, I just hoped she was still here.

I walked to the bouncer in the front of the line and handed him a wad of cash before letting myself into the club.

As always and like most clubs, it reeked of smoke and sweaty bodies. This one seemed more unbearable than most nightclubs I'd been to considering it was full of humans. It was a positive and negative thing though. The negative being I'd want to kill everyone I passed, but a positive was that I'd be able to easily detect Queen.

Her blood was obviously different than human blood. Theirs smelled like some sort of savory food or even meat, whereas Queen's was fruitier. The smell had a hidden allure, almost like a poison, but nonetheless, it was hers...so I adored it.

I walked down the steps into my club and was met with a low wall that split off into two directions. One that went toward the bar, and the other to the dance floor. The dark floor had bright lights for guidance and again I was reminded why humans were prey. They needed something as minuscule as light to be able to walk.

My mind was about to go into another rant about the species until I remembered a time years ago where I fell for a girl I believed to be human. Thinking less of them right now would only make me a hypocrite.

I went in the direction of the bar and sat on the stool before ordering a drink. "Thanks," I said lowly as the bartender passed me the drink, her eyes lingering on me. I swiveled on the chair and a distinct and familiar smell wafted my senses. I downed the drink quickly before following it down the long corridor to the dance floor.

I groaned in annoyance when I bumped into bodies on the dance floor, but I maneuvered through them. I was so busy moving past everyone that I didn't notice Queen directly in front of me. Her scent caught me off guard, but a slow smile spread across my face at it. I hadn't been this close to her in years, but now, if I reached out...we'd be skin to skin.

Her hips swayed to the music as she danced, and I looked around. Plenty of eyes were on her, but I sent glares their way, acting as a safety blanket around Queen. Iris was across me, but she seemed lost in her own world. Even if she were to look at me wouldn't be able to make out my face in the dark crowd. The only thing providing any light was the dancing LED lights.

I kept a small distance between us as she danced, making sure no one else was coming near her, but being sure I wasn't either. That of course was short-lived as Queen stepped back and bumped into my front. She must've not noticed, or she didn't care enough to move, but she began slowly grinding against me to the music.

With no room between us, I could smell the alcohol running through her bloodstream and my protectiveness only grew. I ignored the anger rising in me that was realizing she was dancing on a stranger—me, and gently trailed my hands along her body.

I slowly moved away from her and disappeared into the crowd of bodies when her friends returned. I let out a breath now that we had some distance between us and I walked back to the bar. I ordered a drink before leaning over the railing above the dance floor. I kept an eye on her to make sure nobody was bothering her and everything seemed fine for the most part. The only questionable problem was a man bothering Iris, but she maintained herself well.

After a few moments, she and her friends began walking back up the corridor that led to where I was and I had my back to them. "I need a drink!" One of the girls yelled excitedly.