116. 𝐹𝑜𝑟𝑔𝑖𝑣𝑒 𝑀𝑒 𝑁𝑜𝑡

Lilith

I chopped the onions, the motions flowing through me like instinct. I used to cook every day- Adam taught me how. At first, when he offered, I thought it was simply his first step into turning me into some cookie-cutter housewife. Throughout history I had been the embodiment of women's independence from men— a sign of strength and sexual liberation. I was a goddess. And I thought that he was trying to change me. Looking back at it now I could see that he only did it so I could feed myself when he wasn't around.

I wish I hadn't given him such a hard time about that.

That amongst many things if I were being honest.

I missed this— I missed him- the three of us doing something as mundane as this. Queen's head would be in a book at the dining table as Adam was in the kitchen with me, stealing kisses when she wasn't looking our way. We were truly happy. I remembered that much.

I looked over at Queen beside me, her dark hair tied into a ponytail, her brows furrowed in concentration as she cut the carrots slowly. "Why offer to help when you're that slow?" I joked.

She shot me a look before continuing and I smiled. "I wanted to look busy," she said lowly. "I didn't want to give him a reason to try and talk to me. At least if he comes here I can say it's mother and daughter time."

"Fair enough, I guess." I continued cooking, sautéing the onions as Queen fidgeted with the knife and carrots. "Did your mother up there not teach you how to cook?"

"Well, you know," she glanced at me, tilting the knife in the air. "She didn't have time with the whole...being Queen of Eden. Teaching me how to cook wasn't really on the agenda- but I can do the basics; sandwiches, pizza bites, cup noodles—"

"Oh, no." I cringed outwardly, taking the knife from her hand and moving the cutting board toward me. "Do you know how horrible those are for you?"

"There are worse things." She leaned on the counter and watched me cut the vegetables.

"They have a lot of sodium," I told her. "You'll get bloated."

She groaned. "I'm already bloated."

"Ah, the infamous menses, hm?" I asked and she nodded. "I'm thankful that I never had to deal with that. The stories I hear—"

She lifted her head from her palm and looked up at me. "You don't have them?!"

"No." I smiled. "I came far before Eve and her idiotic choices."

"Ugh, you're a lucky woman." She sighed.

"I wouldn't say lucky," I told her. "Those cycles control your reproductive system— without it...you know. It took me a long time to get pregnant with you and when I did, it wasn't even because I could. God gave me the gift, just once."

"And you were blessed with me," she teased.

"Not really," I admitted. "You came at the worst possible time for your father and me. Our relationship was on the rocks- because of me, of course, and I had changed my mind about settling down with him. Finding out I was pregnant was an adjustment period, but we...adjusted."

I left out a few of the minor details for my reason for wanting a baby. Within the twenty-four hours I left Lucifer, he got that bitch Genesis pregnant. I didn't know about it until Syn was an infant, but I wanted to get even a bit— I knew it would break Lucifer's heart and it would keep Adam around. It was a win-win. I just didn't foresee just how even the universe would make things.