65. 𝐸𝑛𝑜𝑢𝑔𝘩 𝑃𝑡. 2

May 13, 2023

Iris

"What's going on?"

Of course.

I couldn't get away with anything with Cain. It's like he had sensors that went off in his head every time I was anything less than one hundred percent happy.

I pulled away from Xoe's hug and glanced at him behind me before shaking my head and averting my eyes. "Nothing, I'll be right back. I need to use the bathroom."

I gave them both a quick smile before excusing myself as subtly as I could. I kept my head down as I walked past Cain and I let out a breath of relief when I noticed he didn't follow behind me. He always made me feel better no matter what, but there were times when I needed to be alone to stew in my own emotions. And this was one of those times.

I slipped past everyone in the living room, careful not to trip over the kids crawling across the floor, and rushed into our bedroom. I closed the door gently and walked to the restroom, fanning my face and taking deep breaths to hold back my tears. I didn't need to mess up my makeup and make it so obvious that I had been crying. Especially since I'd be seeing Queen in a few minutes. Just like her brother, she read me like a book.

Tonight was about her and what happened, I felt selfish for even letting myself get so worked up when we were all here for her. I locked the door to the bathroom and sniffled as I walked toward the mirror.

"Deep breaths, Iris," I instructed my reflection. "You can cry later." The mantra worked for a few seconds. Until images of Cain with all the kids passed through my mind and a tear fell, followed by another...and then another one. Before I knew it, I was sobbing in my hands, silently cursing myself for being so weak.

Get it together.

After a few minutes, I washed my face and minimally did the makeup I had ruined in my moments of self-pity. My eyes were still puffy but I could explain that away with my tiredness. I hadn't slept a wink since yesterday morning. I was too worried about Queen.

With a sigh, I turned off the bathroom light and unlocked the door, stepping into my room. I stopped however when my eyes landed on Cain sitting at the foot of our bed and staring at the floor in front of him in thought. He rubbed his hands together, his eyes meeting mine as I closed the restroom door behind me, and I gave him a small smile.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey."

I crossed my arms, looking at the closed door before looking back at him in question. "Were you waiting for me?"

He nodded slowly, his eyes scanning my face and body. "Sit with me."

I walked over to him, preparing to sit beside him on the bed, but he firmly grabbed my hips and sat me on his lap. I held back a smile at his familiar gesture and he grabbed my arms, resting them on his shoulders before wrapping his arms around my waist.

"This can't be comfortable for you." I blushed, trying to somehow put most of my weight on my foot. Noticing what I was doing, he lifted my legs over his lap and rested his hand on my thigh.

"I'm comfortable, and I'm still going to be comfortable when you ask me again in thirty seconds," he said. I smiled at his words and shook my head. He was right, I could be annoying with asking him that, but I couldn't imagine how he could be. I wasn't exactly light, and I think I'd just want to die in my spot if his legs fell asleep or something.