11th Chapter ♣ Duel

"There is more to a fight with a ranking member of the Celestial Twelve than it would seem."

CHAPTER ELEVEN  ♣ DUEL

When they arrived, Valeriana was surprised to see that they weren't the only ones present. Instead of the school faculty and the competitors only, people swarmed in the audience's area. A sword was strapped around her waist, and she was immediately sent down to the center of the arena where the fight would be held. Courtney was waiting, her own weapon in hand.

"I thought we were the only ones going to be here," she said.

A drop of sweat trickled down her forehead.

"They wouldn't miss it for the world!" Lord Aeron shouted from the royal box, waving his arm passionately in the air as though reading her thoughts.

"I hate you," Valeriana muttered.

Cheers wildly erupted from the crowd and Valeriana yanked her sword out of its sheath. Her grip on its hilt firmly tightened as she looked at Courtney's direction with unwavering determination.

What exactly was she doing?

Still, there was no turning back.

"It looks like Lord Aeron is asking the competitors to get ready! Fighters in place!"

Valeriana moved to a stance. "Remember the center point of gravity in your body. Pick a stance that's not easy to be thrown off balance." She planted her feet to the ground.

"The fight will start in three."

She held out her sword in front of her, making sure there weren't any available openings her opponent could use to attack. Courtney, however, seemed confident and remained nonchalant from where she was. The tip of her sword was kissing the sandy ground.

"Two!"

She wore the same clothes as Valeriana, making it appear that these garments were meant to be worn during a duel by the competing sides.

"One!"

A bright light sparked on the corner of the arena, but Valeriana chose to keep her eyes strictly on Courtney, who immediately ran forth and brought her blade up when the signal was fired.

Valeriana held her own weapon in front of her and blocked her first attack. It vibrated sharply as Courtney's sword clashed unto hers. The intensity of the force that Courtney used for her first assault was terrifying. If Valeriana hadn't followed Seraphina's advice, she would've been instantly pushed back.

Fortunately, she was able to block most of her attacks at the moment. It seemed that Seraphina's lectures were useful, but it didn't remove the fact that, with the current pace of their fight, she would have no chance in winning.

Lord Aeron did tell her she did not need to win.

Courtney aggressively drove her sword forward but Valeriana was able to dodge it—albeit clumsily. She stepped forward with a counterattack, forcing her sword to meet with Courtney's in hopes of pushing her back. Adrenalin rushed through her veins and, with all her might, she began to assault her opponent.

"Fight back!" She remembered Seraphina yelling. "You can't call it a fight when you're not attacking!"

"You're daring to even try and fight back." Courtney smirked at her.

"What do you expect me to do, then?"

"Oh, I don't know. Lose. Die, maybe. The latter would be better."