28th Chapter ♣ Dealing With Bullies

"Prelurésia—the land of ice and snow under the Evereeshas."

Chapter Twenty-Eight  ♣  Dealing With Bullies

A day after her training session with Lady Seraphina, Valeriana was once again walking through the library to find some books she needed to study about. The lady knight would come for her in two hours, and although she was told to rest, she didn't feel like it was right sitting around doing nothing when she had to catch up with a lot of things. In order to ease the feeling of restlessness, she opted to study instead in order to lessen the work load piled over her table.

 "Demonology . . . demonology . . . aha! Here it is!"

As she strolled through the aisle of books trying to find the book she needed, she heard voices echo in a distance. She didn't want to interfere with whatever business they got, but she took notice of the familiarity. Valeriana couldn't resist but pay attention to what they were saying.

 "You became aides for that stinky human? Seriously?" A mocking tone reached her ears. Valeriana froze on the spot as she realized she was the one being talked about, and she might have a clue who it was being spoken to.

Hand still reaching towards the shelf for the book she was looking for, Valeriana paused and listened curiously. She knew that eavesdropping was wrong, but she couldn't help it.

"So what?" Replied the other. "We thought she's amazing! And she saved us! If you were there, you would've seen it! But you didn't! So what you gave you the right to judge?"

"She's a total fake! She probably cheated to beat Lady Courtney! Besides, there's Lord Corvan and Lord Rowe! They're much better than she is. Why did you pick her anyway?!"

This again? Valeriana thought tiredly, sighing dejectedly while she did.

She was already tired of being called a fake over and over again. Although unlike the last time regarding blabber-mouth Julian, she wouldn't easily lose her composure. She decided to tell herself that she would fix this situation smoothly without hurting anybody.

As much as she knew that interfering was not a good habit, this situation had a lot to do with her since the three were probably being bullied because they became her aides. She would probably die full of guilt if she just left them alone.

"Shut up! You don't have any right butting in on our business!" The other one replied again. Valeriana figured it must be Poulette.

"Poulette . . ." She heard a girl's voice whisper, as if trying to hold back the fight. "Please stop it. They're not worth it."

"Let me go, Quincy! I'll kill these guys like I have to!"

"And what are you going to do about it?" A male voice taunted. "Like I said, there's no way that human won without cheating!"

Tucking the book under her arms, she decided to walk out of her hiding place and reveal herself. "And who in the world made you the judge for that?" She asked, making her voice loud and clear.

She stole a glance at her aides. Poulette looked like he was going to kill someone while Quincy was desperately clinging to his arm. Zoel was shaking like a leaf, looking scared to the boot.

The four other kids, scared out of their wits, jumped at the sound of her voice. She stopped within a few steps away from their current position and crossed her arms over her chest, posing as threatening as she could. She tried imitating Corvan's ever scary expression when he was annoyed mixed with Brindon's usually impassive face. Being around the Twelve taught her to be somewhat reproaching.