49th Chapter ♣ Lunch Break

"Valemnia has had thousands of years of rich history."

Chapter Forty-Nine ♣ Lunch Break

Last night, Edeltraud informed Laedin that Valeriana accidentally ran into Bertram on her way to the restroom. Maybe it was against his better decisions to let the girl wander alone. After all, the palace resembled an unfathomable maze that one could easily get lost into if weren't familiar with.

The next afternoon, Seraphina requested an audience with the king regarding her assignment to report on her progress. Having over an hour and a half of recess for the time being, the woman decided to make use of the time and meet the monarch.

Both of them sat by the window of a lobby specifically prepared for confidential negotiations. Seraphina had made herself comfortable in an armchair situated in front of an ornate, mahogany table with the king sitting opposite of her.

"I hope you forgive me, Your Majesty," Seraphina said. "The investigation seemed to be moving rather slowly. I have made . . . inquiries on the matter as silently as I could, but there still is nothing."

"Please do not apologize. I know you're doing all you can," he said, smiling, though inside he worried.

"You may be pleased to hear, though," the woman told him. "I have found something rather interesting that may be the key to the prince's current situation."

"What have you got?"

"A journal," she answered, placing a book down on the surface of the table and pushing it forward towards the king. "Of Degenhard Veralidaine."

"Degenhard Veralidaine?" The king's brows furrowed. "One of the first Celestial Knights?"

"That's right," she said. "Degenhard made an account for a demon's transformation. I just came to know that a child can be turned to a demon while still in the womb of its mother?"

He hesitated at her words. "What? What do you mean?"

"In this book says that there's a way upon which an unborn child can be turned into a demon," she said. "Demons found a way to turn their children into a demon before it's even born. But, the consequences were horrible. Those infants died before they even had the chance to see the world. I was thinking that maybe there is something in this journal of similar circumstance that can elaborate upon this situation."

"Even as king, there are a lot of things I do not know." He sighed. "Do you mind leaving that book behind so I can study it?"

"Of course, Your Majesty." She nodded. "I'll continue searching for more answers regarding Prince Bertram's condition."

"I have a very strong feeling that those black streaks are somehow connected to demons," the king said. "Was it not said about how a transformation progresses?"

"Whatever is in this book is not for my eyes, Your Majesty," Seraphina replied. "I am but your mere servant. Without proper permission, I cannot know more than I already do."

"You are part of my family, Seraphina," said Laedin. "Before your liege, I am your uncle. As a part of this clan, you have every right to know what's in this book."

"Perhaps that I forget every now and then," she said. "I am not actually used to being called a part of this family."

"Listen not to what other people say. You are bothered by what they tell you, aren't you?"