40th Chapter ♣ The Journal

"The Celestial Circle receives special missions of their own—individually or by group. This helps give them credits and prepare them for their life as a Celeste."

Chapter Forty The Journal

The past few days became hectic for the lady knight. She managed to make some time to teach Valeriana swordsmanship skills and investigate the condition of the crown prince at the same time. There was very little time left before the aristocrats decided for a Candidate Selection.

Well, the investigation process was actually more tedious than anyone would have thought. There was no hunting down people who had the answers she sought, nor was there any thrilling fight. This had to be done inconspicuously and the lady knight knew that a clue should be in the ancient library—which was located in the academy.

Seraphina nodded at the librarian who looked back at her knowingly but said nothing. After all, although Rinda knew of the Celeste's current detective work, she couldn't nor would she ever open her mouth.

Seraphina walked through the aisle, letting her fingers trace the endless rows of books sitting in the towering shelves. Her eyes speedily skimmed through the titles but she found nothing of relevance.

When the aisle ended, a hunched form appeared in front of her, completely taking her aback. She took a retreating step, heart leaping to her throat. When she saw the old librarian, she gave her chest a gentle pat.

"Rinda, please do not startle me like that," she told her, breathing deeply.

"What you're looking for is not here," she replied, ignoring the woman's reaction to her sudden appearance out of nowhere.

"Do you know what I'm looking for?" She narrowed her eyes at the woman.

Rinda waved her hand at her dismissively. "No," she answered. "But I have a feeling I do." She then pulled her with her.

A look of confusion riddled the lady knight's gaze. Librarian Rinda had been serving as the academy's librarian longer than anyone could remember. Ever since Seraphina became a student in Celeste Academy, she was already there, tending to the dusty shelves of books without complain. She knew that the old woman was wise beyond one could comprehend since her age went beyond even the Court Leader's. She knew things Seraphina didn't.

"Don't look so confused now, dear." Rinda told her. "I've been this academy's librarian for so long that there's not a corner in this room that I do not know of. I may be old, but there are things which I can see and you cannot."

"I do not understand."

"You soon will," she answered. "I've seen you scan these shelves for hours and still, that look in your face did not disappear. You have not gotten what you are looking for, and by the way I have observed your behavior these past days, the answer you seek is not within those books."

"Am I that readable?"

"No." She shook her head. "You are far harder to read than anyone else, but with a keen eye like mine, you shall not get to hide anything."

"I see." The lady knight nodded.

"Here."

Seraphina looked around and saw that they stopped on a dead-end. In front of them was the same sight of rows and rows of books. The lady knight stopped and stared in front of her in confusion. The books in the shelves didn't seem to be related to what she was looking for, nevertheless, what confused her was what the old librarian was doing.