20th Chapter ♣ Meeting the Twelve

"To become a ranker, all you need to do is to defeat one."

CHAPTER TWENTY ♣MEETING THE TWELVE

Brindon and Valeriana stepped in front of the building where she assumed the Gathering of the rankers of the Twelve would be held. She opened her mouth wide and inhaled a good amount of oxygen, squaring her shoulders while Brindon pushed the doors open and urged her forward.

Valeriana slipped into the dim room.

The floor was carpeted and ornate loveseats were positioned in the center of the room, encased in bronze frames. There was a fireplace further back into the room, filled with burning logs and crackling fire. Traditional paintings were hung up on the walls and, occasionally, swords and a variety of different weapons. A golden chandelier that carried loads of melting wax candles was heaved up high into the ceiling.

"Wow." Valeriana gazed around in awe.

"Corvan, get your nose out of that book!" a redhead exclaimed. "You do nothing but read, I swear you're more of a bookworm than Charles, which is saying a lot!"

She looked around and spotted four girls and six boys—which included Corvan, sitting on one corner and flipping open a book. A frown made its way to Valeriana's face. Of course he was one of the elites.

Corvan closed the book he was reading before he turned to Brindon and Valeriana, watching them make their way into the room calmly. "Mind your punctuality next time," he said. His tone was cold and harsh that it sent shivers down Valeriana's spine. The lord's long, flowing locks were tied back in a low ponytail, probably to keep it from obstructing his vision.

"We can't be that late, right?" she murmured in a low voice.

"So, shall we start the introductions?" asked someone.

"I'll go first."

A guy then stepped forward. He looked unprecedentedly charismatic. His russet eyes softened into a twinkling gaze while a gentle smile pulled the corners of his lips, revealing a set of pearly white teeth.

"It's a nice opportunity to meet you, Miss Valeriana." He took her hands into his and raised it to his lips, planting a gentle kiss on her knuckles.

She smiled. It was a rare thing nowadays to encounter such a man who acted chivalrously—at least, back home.

"My name is Rowe von Valdemar de la Nevan, the proud second-ranker of the Celestial Circle who specializes in arm blades. I'm currently in my seventh year."

"Nice to meet you," she answered and slowly pulled her hand back. Despite the nice feeling of being treated like so, it made her uncomfortable.

Rowe straightened his broad back. "Anyhow, it's a shame Courtney wounded your face." He reached out to trace the wound on her cheek, making Valeriana flinch at the sudden intrusion of her personal space. "I'm sorry," he apologized, seeing her reaction. "I didn't mean to act so out of line."

Who is this guy and why is he being so touchy-feely? Valeriana eyed him with suspicion.

"I-it's alright." She was hesitant from the suddenness that she didn't know what she was supposed to tell him.

Brindon suddenly appeared out of nowhere and latched onto Valeriana's arm. For a guy, he was short.

"What?" She looked at Brindon in confusion. Rowe was chuckling quietly from where he stood.