Chapter 35

happy sprint quali!
— george to merc!!
—— alex to williams :)
next season is gonna be so good!💙

stay safe and love you all <3
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

That evening was spent laughing, making jokes, hearing about Flo and Oliver, Lando's childhood. Cisca made us a lovely pasta bake. Tomato and chilli. Lando and I had planned to stay the night, so he grabbed our bag from his car. We said goodnight to everyone and then headed upstairs. After changing into our pyjamas, brushing our teeth and flicking water at each other like children, we jumped into Lando's childhood bed. I rested my ear on his chest, Lando placing his hand over me. Almost in a protective manner. "They all love you Sky. Thank you for opening up to them."

I looked up at Lan, "Do you think? It's okay. I felt guilty for spilling all my shit on them."

"Hey, hey, it's not shit. It's your story. It's your life. I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to share it." he replied, kissing my temple. I snuggled back down into his chest, pulling the duvet up to cover my whole body. The summer break was over. In four days we would be flying out to Belgium. Lando's second home race. Cisca and Adam would be joining us, seeing as Cisca is originally from Belgium. We had to be back in Surrey tomorrow morning. I had training tomorrow, on a Sunday?! Then sim work at the RB factory on Monday. Training again on Tuesday, then Lando flies out on the Tuesday night. I've decided to stay in Aylesbury and fly out on the Wednesday with my team. It's been a while since I've flown with the team.

Sunday morning. Back at home in Aylesbury with Holly. We were at our local gym, and pushing hard. I was determined to walk out of this session feeling numb. We did some cardio, then we worked on my core. My mini six pack was starting to show through! Then we worked on arm strength and finished with a heavy neck workout. With all the G-force I undergo as a Formula One driver, we have to keep our necks in top condition, otherwise we could seriously injure our necks and spinal cord.

Holly and I just finished our workout and were in my car ready to go home, "So, Sky, how's Lando? What did the team think? Obviously it's been a while since you told everyone but surely it hasn't been a smooth ride?"

I nodded and sighed, "Lando is good. We spent the night at his parents on Friday. The team were happy for me, but I could see some were skeptical, same for McLaren. Everyone's wondering how our relationship will end up. But Christian and Zak took a big step in allowing this. We owe it all to them I guess."

Holly nodded as well, "What about the public? What have they said?"

I paused, turning on my indicator and turning onto the right road. "Uh, well. Loads of people and I mean loads of people are happy for us. But there are definitely some people who are not so keen. Unfortunately, it's those comments that get to us, me especially. My anxiety is getting wild in recent weeks. I'm pretty good at keeping it under control though. All these negative articles, comments on my social media, comments when I walk down the street or go shopping, the DM's on Instagram. It does get to me. I hate it. But there is not much I can do."

Holly grabbed my hand which was resting on my thigh. She smiled at me as I pulled in to my driveway. My Nissan's engine turning off, we hopped out and headed for the door. We were at Lando's house now. I basically live there full time. But I have kept my apartment in Aylesbury, because when I have a few days when I'm needed in Milton Keynes every day, it's handy. Apart from that, Lando and I lived together. I would love to buy a house with him, somewhere to call our home. But our jobs are so demanding, it just isn't possible. Tuesday morning I woke up, showered, ate, trained, and then headed to the factory. It was going to be a busy day today. More sim work. On Spa of course. I love Spa. It's a track to die for. But it's also a track where someone died. Two years ago this weekend, Anthoine Hubert passed at Spa. He was close with Pierre and Charles, I knew him breifly, but no where near as much as they did. But yet, it felt no less upsetting. It shows you that no matter what, accidents like this can happen. My thoughts rest with his family every year. I hope he is resting in peace.

After getting back to my own house from Milton Keynes, I returned to a text from Lan.

LANDO❤️:
i'm all safely in belgium, mum is looking forward to seeing you again :) xx

YOU:
awwwe! i'm looking forward to seeing cisca too. glad you're there safely, i'll let you know when my flight leaves xx

LANDO❤️ LIKED A MESSAGE

I still hadn't packed for tomorrow, oh well. I'll just pack in the morning. My flight doesn't leave until like 1pm anyways. I decided to go to sleep around 9pm just because it was an early start the following day.

Spa here we come. Wednesday afternoon, I was on the plane with Holly and the team. Max has his own plane so he flies privately, the good thing is he has said to me before that if I ever want it, I can join him and Kelly. Or him and Jake. But I don't mind flying with the team, plus I would only fall asleep anyways. That's just who I am! I checked myself into the hotel room Lando and I were sharing. He obviously wasn't here, Mclaren had given him Wednesday off so he could visit his extended family here in Belgium. Along with Cisca and Adam, oh and Oli too. I unpacked all of my belongings and had a few hours to myself. Or so I thought.

A loud knocking came from my door. I walked over to it and opened it to find one ugly ass face in front of me, "Hi George!"

"Sky!". He pulled me into a hug. I loved George Russell. He was one of my closest friends, we don't really speak much anymore, we were close in F2. We text each other now and then though.

"How are you?" I asked, filled with joy that George came to see me.

"I'm good thanks, what about you Sky?". A perplexed look crossed George's own face.

"I'm fine. What's going on George?", I was slightly worried. The excited look had gone.

"Haven't you seen it?", a worried look was now on his face.

"Seen what? George. What aren't you telling me?". What on earth is going on?

"Well, Lando was seen out today apparently, hugging another girl. There have been several articles and Instagram and Twitter posts about it. People are more angry at you than Lando."

"Wha- what do you mean? More angry at me? That can't be possible, Lando is visiting family. He's been sending me videos and photos all day!" I argued. Refusing to believe this bullshit.

"For starters, the comments are vile. Saying that Lando never deserved you, you're using him for even more fame and money. Your relationship is fake and just for show. You don't love him. It's all been an act, that photo. Well, you can think what you want of it. The articles and comments, they are just outrageous." he finished his sentence. My heart sinking as he did. Would Lando really do that? He can't? He's out with family? He's literally with Cisca and Adam, and can't forget Oliver?!

George reached for my hand. We had mashed to make it to the bed mid conversation. "Sky, I don't want to make it worse but, I have never seen one human being get so much hate. I don't want to ruin your confidence or upset you, but your relationship with Lando has really got people thinking differently."

"I know I know. But it's not their lives. I need to talk to Lando. Can you send me the supposed picture please?" I asked, pulling out my phone.

George squeezed my knee, "I don't need to. Just open twitter."
I did as he asked and holy shit. He wasn't wrong. I found the picture, took a screenshot, and closed Twitter, as quick as I could.

"Thanks George for telling me. I think I need to speak to Lan."

We stood up and he pulled me into an embrace, "That would be a good idea Sky. I'll speak to you later, I'm always here."

"I know. Thanks George."

I showed him out and flopped back on the bed.

I need to speak to Lando. ASAP.