Chapter 45

Saturday evening I spoke to Lando and Holly, separately of course. 

They both were happy with the decision I'd made, I wasn't 100% sure about it yet, but I had a very very good idea about what I was going to do. I was planning on speaking with Christian on Tuesday, when we were back in Milton Keynes. 

It was now race day on Sunday, I was lining up on the grid ready to go. The formation lap was coming to an end. The lights were slowly going out, one by one, until eventually all five lights were out and my foot was pressed hard on the throttle. Accelerating away into Turn 1. Down into T2, I had gained on Valtteri by a heavy amount. Almost snubbing him, but into Turn 3, I held back. Turns 4, 5 and 6 were quite the dangerous corner, very similar to Maggots and Becketts at Silverstone. I was close behind through Turn 9 and then I followed his slipstream past the DRS detection zone, then I attempted to take the inside line at T11. But I missed, nearly crashing into him. Instead, I flicked open my DRS flap and sailed down the inside into T12. I was now in fourth. 

Charles was ahead of me, he was 2.3 seconds ahead. I didn't catch up to Charles for another 3 laps, even then staying close to the Ferrari was a challenge. I was in his DRS down the main straight, Charles fended off the inside so I took to the outside line. But I misjudged how far back I was, I ended up pulling out and kept right behind him for another few laps. Until my DRS flap opened again and I managed to take the inside line that time, but into Turn 12, same place I snubbed Valtteri. 

The rest of the race was smooth, I was too far away from George and Max to fight so I let them battle them out, but Charles was too far behind me to be a threat. My pitstop was smooth, I went from the softs to the hards at about lap 16. Ever since my pitstop I sailed through the race no hassle. 

"P3. P3. Nice job Sky. Well deserved podium, you drove a clean race today." mentioned Horner over the radio. 

I smiled through my helmet, "Thank you Christian. We deserve it as a team, who won?" 

A short moment of radio silence, "George. It was a tough battle for P1. Max still P2 though." 

"Bad luck, but still good job by Max. Another double podium." I said enthusiastically. 

I drove into the pitlane and parked behind the big '3' sign, with George to my left. I once again removed my steering wheel, got out of the car and ran over to the team. Aid and Holly both embracing me in a hug. I also noticed Jules and Maria in the crowd, so I hugged them as well. Max came along and I congratulated him and then gave George a massive hug. 

I had just realised, I had yet another podium! That is two in two races, this has never happened to me in F1 yet. The podium celebration was just like any other, but it still filled me with joy every time. Champagne, trophies and my big fat grin. It was lovely to share a podium with Max, my teammate, and George, one of my best friends. 

I wasn't normally one to fly out of the country on the Sunday night, but this time I did. No reason, I Just felt like with all these decisions I needed to make. I was better of getting them sorted out in my own home, not a hotel room. I flew out with Max and the team instead of Lando, he understood of course. I opened my house door, locked it, and headed into my kitchen.  It was now a little after 10pm. I poured myself a small glass of red wine and sat down on the sofa, I put some Dawson's Creek on in the background. Not many people I know have seen Dawson's Creek. But I love it. Pacey is my favourite character, mainly because I love the actor who plays him - Joshua Jackson. 

But that was besides the point, what on earth was I going to do with my career? I could potentially stay in Red Bull in the top tier sport in the world, racing against the best drivers in the world but with a shitty media reputation and a bad name because of my gender and a fat pay cheque. Or, I can race against some of THE best women in the motorsport industry from the same gender as me, with a more stable name in the media, but on a lesser fee. 

I mean, it was undeniable which one I go for isn't it? I shouldn't even need to consider it? Right? 

Ahh shit, I don't know. I decided to sleep on it, I washed up my wine glass, locked all my doors and headed upstairs. I debated on telling Lando I had made my decision, I thought it would be best so we briefly spoke on FaceTime before we both went to bed. He was happy for me, and very, very pleased with my decision. 

I turned off my lamp and cozily tucked myself into bed. I slowly drifted off into my deep slumber. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ringggg, ringggg. Ringggg, ringggg. 

My blaring alarm woke me up at 8:30 the following morning. I sat up in bed before reaching for my phone, I didn't even hesitate when I dialled Christian Horner's personal mobile. It rang for a few times then he answered. 

"Hello? Sky? How are you?" he asked. 

"I've made my decision."

sorry for the shorter chapter, what do you think she will do? I would love to hear your guys' thoughts!