Deers in the Headlights

Getting out of the truck, Niall immediately offered Ara a hand getting out of the backseat, though he couldn't quite bring himself to look at her like he wanted to. 

"Thanks," Ara said as she fluffed out the bottom of her dress,  trying to straighten out the pale rose pink layers, before snuggling her cardigan closer to her body.  "Brr," She slightly shivered with her eyes scrunched closed.  

"Move it icicle." Bradley said as he nudged her onward. 

Sticking her tongue out at her brother, Ara moved as slowly as possible until an extra chill February breeze blew across.  With that she picked up her pace until she was mid jog to the church doors.  She ignored the laughing she heard behind her from both her brother and Niall.    

~~~

"Is that?" Ara's Mum asked, taken aback at seeing her only son next to a boy she'd been made to watch numerous videos of and sing many songs for that matter. 

Ara looked over at Niall to find that he and Bradley were by Mrs. Hanas who was fussing over Niall and his windblown cheeks.  "Um yes, that's Niall. Um Niall the one from One Direction..."  Ara trailed off awkwardly.

"I thought your dad was kidding yesterday," Ara's Mum said incredulous.  "Well his humor is so dry when it comes to you and boys anyway.  But wait, I thought you were dating that-"

On cue, Ara blushed furiously.  "He's not my boyfriend! He's just a friend."

"Of course," Ara's mum patted her arm.  "Now I want to see if his accent is as cute as it is on the radio." She grabbed her arm.  "Your Dad's over there with the other males talking about boring stuff.  Medication, I think.  It's sad the things we talk about at our age..."

Ara just laughed as she let her Mum lead her to Niall and Mrs. Hanas who was now taking to showing off Niall and talking about Melina and Louis, bragging more of the latter.

~~~

At the chiming of the hour, everyone took their seats.  Bradley had escaped, sitting by his friend instead of with the family.  Mrs. Hanas sat in front of them after she told Niall to have a good time and that he was a great kid.  Not even her children ever cared to come to church with her, preferring their father's method of piety. Thus Niall took Bradley's seat beside Ara. 

Because she'd stayed up last night a bit restless both in anxiety and excitement at cooking for Niall, Ara had to hide a yawn as the sermon started. 

"No sleeping," Niall lightly elbowed her, not even turning to look at her but being the perfect congregation member and looking  forward at the priest.

"I kn-hic!" Ara whispered only to hiccup in the middle of her sentence.  Her eyes widened as she felt eyes turn to her. 

Niall sniggered beside her. 

"Ni- hic!" Ara horrifyingly covered her mouth with both her hands as if by blocking her air path, it would stop the hiccups! Come on she was at church, now of all times to- hic.

Niall's shoulders began to shake as unknown to Ara, she had actually whispered her sentence out loud, causing him to have to contain his laugh the best he could, but Ara wasn't helping matters at all. 

Ara wanted to take a page out of Melina's book and just say FML but she was in church and her parents were right beside her.  Instead, she slunk down lower in her seat. 

Niall bit his lip trying not to smile too much as he too slunk down in his seat to be on level with Ara. 

Risking a look, Ara glanced over at Niall, blushing when she saw that he was working hard on controlling his laughter.  Jabbing him, she tried to say his name only to hiccup once more causing her own Dad to hush her.