Plain Folk

“You know, I feel slightly like a child riding in the backseat with my parents again.” Niall sighed as he watched Melina slap Louis’ hand away from the radio. 

On cue, Louis turned his head to look back at him.  “Awe, Niall, really, your father? I’m a little young but I guess I’m honored you-”

“Oh phf.” Niall puffed at Louis. “Please, you,” He said as if that was enough of an explanation. “I said slightly like and it’s mostly due to Melina not putting up with your antics anyway.” He waved him off as Louis scoffed in offense.  “Melina how much further?”

Smiling to hide her laugh, Melina answered that they would be there in a little over twenty minutes. 

“I’m offended, what you don’t think I wouldn’t be a great dad?” Louis asked turning around to look pointedly at Niall, his eyes almost threatening his mate to say yes. 

“You’re a bit young.” Niall shrugged as Melina made a sound quite of distress and coughing but Louis ignored her. 

“You’re younger.”

“I meant both physically and mentally.”

“Bleh, I can be their best friend, the coolest dad ever.” Louis waved the words away.  “Anyway I’ve gotta start soon if I plan on having my own baseball team of kids.”

“What?!” Both Melina and Niall exclaimed, the latter in surprise and laughter, the former in horror and revulsion. 

“Kidding but really, do you have to sound that horrified?” He asked Melina, narrowing his eyes at her. 

“Yes!” Melina answered without pause. 

~~~

Arriving at the destination of Ara’s regatta, the three got out of Melina’s car. 

“So where to now?” Niall asked looking around. 

“Well I’ve only gone to  one other of Ara’s regatta’s but I would start with following the group of people who are carrying large satchels and coolers, who look like they know where they are going.” Melina tipped her head towards the family that were rolling a large cooler. 

“Sounds like a plan.”Niall nodded before he began to follow the rather well packed family. 

Ten minutes of walking later, they thankfully arrived at the stands where the spectators were sitting. Taking their seats, they each tried to find Ara only to realize that everyone practically looked the same with the combination of the distance and matching uniforms.

Giving up for a small bit, Niall waved at some people who were pointing at them, especially the small preteen girl and her green braces, staring at him with wide set brown eyes. 

“Ryan!” Melina yelled suddenly causing both Niall and Louis to look up because they both had no idea who Ryan was. 

On cue the lanky male wearing a pair of jeans with a plain white t-shirt came jogging to them.  "Hello Melina." He said with a small smile as Louis looked him up and down at his familiarity towards Melina. 

"Do you know where Ara is?" Melina asked smiling at the boy who was trying not to look skeptically at Niall and Louis whom were both eyeing him with wonder never having even heard of the boy before. 

"Yeah, she's stretching with her team over there," He nodded in the direction to where Ara’s team ws.

Melina nodded before stopping to realize that all three boys were just looking at each other, to her looking quite like dogs about to sniff each other’s butts, they were so skeptical.  "Oh wait, Louis, Niall, this is Ara's Ryan."