Friends & Confidence

Ara dangled the necklace on her finger as she contemplated the meaning behind it, trying to postpone her Latin homework while doing so. But she began to develop a headache as the stress of her upcoming Latin test, Nate and her ambiguous feelings, and Niall’s even more nebulous intentions all crowded her thoughts.  She couldn’t help but blame Summer.  She hadn’t even thought about there being more to her and Niall’s relationship until Summer kept nudging and asking, almost planting these ridiculous notions in her head such as the necklace being some kind of token of affection. But  she was Ara Astor, a simple and rather broke college student.  Niall Horan was way out of her league in more ways than one.  She shook her head.

Looking down at her textbook once more, she sighed.  “Oh screw this, I’m getting ice cream!” She announced to no one in particular though she was pretty grateful that her Mom was currently out of the house so she could raid the freezer. In the midst of scooping some ice cream into a bowl her phone buzzed to tell her that she’d gotten a skype message. 

Thanks for the cookies

Happy New Years Ara!

Ara’s heart fluttered at first.  How could it not? But as she read the message twice, she had to admit to herself that Niall was simply her friend.  That message was the kind that friends sent each other.  There was no special meaning behind the necklace; it was more of just a joke between the two because of how their friendship started.  Over food of all things.  She held the spoon in her mouth in order to reply back. 

Happy New Year’s to you too Niall Horan

She gave a small smile before pocketing her cell phone.  Having Niall Horan as a friend was more than enough.

~~~

“Come on girls!” Ara yelled. “It’s a brand new year, a new season!” She chirped much too cheerfully for the high school girls she was helping train. 

“Ugh!” One of the girls groaned as she stopped five steps below Ara. 

“Just a couple of more minutes!” Ara tried to stay enthusiastic as she ran in place. 

The two girls right behind her glared at her back.  Ara however ignored the glares, just grateful that her clumsiness wasn’t in full effect for today. Especially now that it was officially her and Nate’s one month anniversary!   “Come on, perk up girls!” She chimed once more.  She wanted to feel bad when she heard the groans of those that were sick of running the stairs, but she was much too excited and hyper. 

~~~

Ara was still hyper when she went home only to find that her parents, Bradley and even Summer were all watching X-Men without her. 

“Hey!” She exclaimed as she dropped her Rowing bag on the floor. 

Her Mom looked up at her first.  She waved at her before going back to looking at the TV screen and grabbing a handful of popcorn. 

Ara’s jaw dropped as the rest barely even acknowledge her.  Bradley even shushed her in fact.  She crossed her arms rather offended at them before heading to the kitchen.  Her eyes widened in delight when she saw that a platter of cookies were on the counter. 

“There’s greek yogurt for you! Don’t touch those cookies!” Her mother yelled after her. 

This time Ara groaned as she slowly pulled her hand away.  Stupid on and off diet.  But she’d just done a whole workout and… biting her lip she eyed them once more.  But then her eyes drifted back to the living room where it seemed that a commercial had finally come on.