Jealousy (Grant Ward)

Requested on Tumblr.

Summary: Y/N and Grant have been partners for a while, and are in the middle of a sparring session when reader's best friend Tripp comes to town. Y/N wastes no time greeting Tripp, catching up with him, and showing him all around the Bus, but they might have to take a break from reminiscing when Y/N notices that Grant's started acting weird.

****************

"Alright, focus. If you're gonna block my next attack, you can't be staring off into space."

Grant Ward, my SHIELD partner, friend, and current trainer, stood across from me on a mat in the belly of the Bus. We were supposed to be training, but I was exhausted, and I honestly just wanted to relax.

"Grant, come on, can't we do something else already?" I whined. "We've been sparring for, like, an hour."

"And you haven't managed to take me down once."

"Only because I'm exhausted from having the hard jobs on all our missions for the past week! You've been sitting in your stupid sniper nest doing nothing while I've been running around chasing down suspects and getting into fights!"

Ward just shrugged and dropped into a fighting stance.

"All I'm hearing are excuses. C'mon, take me down and then we can go relax."

I sighed heavily, but reluctantly dropped into a fighting stance anyway. I braced for Ward's first swing and tried to prepare my reaction to end this as quickly as possible, but before he could make his first move, I heard footsteps coming down the spiral stairs. I straightened up (fortunately resulting in Grant missing his swing) and found a familiar face smiling back at me.

"TRIPP!" I cried, immediately dropping what was left of my guard and rushing over to give him a hug.

"Y/N!" he shouted back, laughing as he picked me up off the ground and swung me around. "It's good to see you!"

"Who's this?" I turned around once Tripp set me down to see Grant walking towards us, arms crossed and a serious expression on his face.

"Oh! Grant, this is Tripp. He was like, my best friend at the academy," I said with a grin. "Tripp, this is Grant, my partner."

"Nice to meet you man," said Tripp, taking a few steps forward and holding out his hand for a shake. Grant took it, and I swear I caught him squeezing way tighter than necessary, although Tripp didn't react.

"Alright, well, anyway..." I said, deciding to ignore the weird tension I was starting to feel in the room. "Tripp, I have to show you around the Bus! And you have to tell me what the hell you're doing here!"

"Of course! C'mon, I've been waiting for this tour since I heard Coulson got a retro command bus to run around the country on..."

I grinned, then gestured for Tripp to start heading back up the stairs.

"We'll start at the top and work our way down," I said, starting to follow him up the stairs. I stopped short and turned back to Grant with a smile. "Looks like I get out of sparring for a little longer, at least."

"I guess so," said Grant, arms crossed over his chest. He had a deep scowl on his face, and I gave him a curious look. He didn't say anything else, so I didn't either. I just followed Tripp up the stairs, albeit a little more reluctantly.

I did my best to put Grant out of my mind as I ran around with Tripp, giving him the full tour of the Bus. It's not like Grant was usually the most sunny, friendly person, so this was probably just some lingering crankiness for me finding a way to get out of training.