Morning Glory (PeggySous)

Summary: After a Hydra weapon fallen into the wrong hands literally blows up in Daniel's face, Peggy is forced to cope with the aftermath. This one's a little angsty. Second of seven days of Peggysous writings for Peggysous Week 2020 😄

Morning Glory Meaning: Unrequited love, restricted love, love that is in vain

****************

Daniel's POV

"Alright, Thompson, you go distract the guards while Daniel and I sneak in and disarm the machine."

Peggy stood before me and Thompson, laying out the plan to get in and prevent an old Hydra machine that'd made it into the wrong hands from blowing up the state of New York. You could tell Thompson had come a long way since that first day we'd all met because he nodded along instead of trying to argue with Peggy's plan.

"Sounds good to me," he said. "Don't get blown up."

With that last comment over his shoulder, he was out the door and heading for the guards. Peggy and I would give him a few seconds, then use his distraction to sneak into the machine room.

"You ready?" I asked, glancing at her as we both got ready to move. I knew she was, but I wanted to talk to her to ease my nerves a little, if nothing else.

Peggy always made me feel stronger.

"Ready as ever. Let's do this."

She shot me a dazzling smile, and then we were through the door and heading for the machine. Thompson, thankfully, was actually good at his job (although I'd never tell him that), and the guards never even started to look our way. We'd only have so long before they caught on to him though, no matter how good he was at his job. We had to make our time count.

There was one last security room and door between us and the machine. The clock was ticking on the explosion as I started working on the lock, Peggy watching my back for anyone that might come try to stop us.

I'd just about finished with the lock on the door when Thompson ran out of distractions. The three guard's he'd been entertaining came bursting into the security room to stop me and Peggy, Thompson right on their heels. I tried to block them out; I knew Peggy and Thompson would watch my six while I finished the mission.

After another few seconds, the lock popped open. I turned to see where Peggy and Jack were and found them both tied up in fights with the guards, both incredibly focused on the task at hand. That left me to shut off the machine.

I slipped through the door before anybody could stop me and headed straight for the control panel. The thing was set to wipe out most of New York, and honestly, I had no idea how to shut it off. I found a dial that changed the radius of the blast, so I started by shrinking it as much as possible. The smallest radius would still send an explosion ripping through this room, but it would be pretty well contained beyond that.

I spent a few more minutes trying to find a way to shut the thing down completely, but with no success. I decided if I spent any more time on it, the thing would blow up and take me with it. It was time to get as far away as possible.

I started heading for the door where Peggy and Jack were just finishing off the guards. They turned to look at me, and I motioned for them to start heading as far away as possible too. I saw Peggy start for the door anyway, but before she could open it, the machine exploded.

Guess I waited too long to start heading out of there.

The shock wave of the explosion hit me like a train and knocked me straight to the floor. I blacked out, coming to right after only to realized I was laid out on the floor, pretty much unable to move. Everything hurt. My ears were ringing. Nothing seemed real.