Hangover (Peggysous)

Written for Peggysous Week 2022 on Tumblr! Run by @peggysousweek - Go check it out!

Prompts: Dream, Canon Divergence, Secret Relationship, "Are you staying for breakfast?"

Summary: Peggy and Daniel have been dating ever since the Howard Stark case wrapped, when Daniel finally got up the courage to ask her out for drinks. Everything's been amazing, and they make a point of regularly spending time together whenever they have a free day or two from work. Nobody in the office knows, since Peggy and Daniel decided it was none of their business, but that's all about to change when a date night doesn't go as planned.

A/N: Listen. I know that this is not realistically the kind of date night people in the 40s would be doing after only a few months of dating. I do not care.

****************

"Daniel, that was an absolutely lovely dinner. Thank you," said Peggy, smiling across the table at her boyfriend. They'd been dating for a few months now, after Daniel asked her out for drinks once they'd wrapped up the Howard Stark case, and neither of them could've been happier.

"I'm just glad you liked it," replied Daniel with a smile. "After the brunch setup you put together last weekend, I really had to up my game."

Peggy chuckled as the two gathered their dishes and headed into the kitchen together. Every moment they got to spend together, just the two of them, they cherished like none other.

"I'll wash you dry?" Daniel suggested. Peggy nodded and laid out a towel while Daniel started the water running. The pair chatted about their week together, talking about everything and nothing while they finished cleaning up the kitchen. Finally, when they were done, they headed into the living room together. The plan was to curl up on the couch and listen to their favorite radio program together before heading to bed.

The plan was interrupted by a pounding at the door.

"Who on Earth could that be?" asked Peggy, perching on the arm of the nearest chair as Daniel headed to the door. He just shrugged; he certainly wasn't expecting anyone.

Daniel tried not to look too huffy as he stopped in front of the door. At this hour, whoever was outside probably needed something pretty urgently. Still, that didn't mean he had to be happy about having his date night interrupted.

Daniel opened the door, only to be pushed back through a moment later by Jack Thompson basically stumbling into his arms. Jack absolutely reeked of alcohol, and he had the dumbest smile on his face as he pulled back to look at Daniel.

"Hey Sousa," slurred Thompson. "I'm sorry about this, I just... ugh. I was out with a suspect in that mob case–you know?"

Jack fixed Daniel with an intense stare, apparently waiting for a response. Peggy wasn't sure whether to laugh or be appalled from where she was watching.

"Yeah, Jack, I know the mob case. We've been working it for almost a month."

"Okay good, yeah, that one. Well, I was out for drinks trying to get information out of this one guy, and usually I can hold my own, right? But this time- SHIT, Sousa, you should've seen him. I dumped half my drinks into plants and he still drank me under the table. I got some info though, I wrote it down."

Jack frowned and started pawing through the pockets of his jacket. Daniel sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Jack-"

"You're right, it doesn't matter," said Jack, his head snapping back up. His eyes took a second to refocus on Daniel. "Anyway, I'll get it in the morning. But there's no way in hell I'm making it home right now. I only got out of spending the night at a mob house by saying I was expected at a friend's so... you mind if I crash here?"