One Iconic Day (Grant Ward)

Written for Fictober 2022 on Tumblr!

Prompt: "What are you doing?"

Summary: Grant and Y/N have been best friends, in love, and dating for a long time, working together on almost every mission after leaving the Academy so long ago. Now, they're on stakeout as part of an operation with Coulson's team, and their only job is to watch an alleyway for hours on end. Fortunately, Y/N brought snacks, games, and a complete refusal to give in to sitting in silence and boredom.

****************

"Alright, the target just went into the building," said Grant from the driver's seat of the car. He was speaking to me and into the radio on his shoulder. "We'll have this exit covered and be ready to trail him back to wherever he lives if he leaves in the next four hours, and after that, we'll be ready to rotate with our relief team."

"Copy," came Coulson's voice, crackling over the radio. "Keep us posted."

"Yes sir. Over and out."

The radio clicked off, leaving just me and Grant in the car. We were trailing a known illegal tech dealer for SHIELD, hoping to track him back to his suppliers. Glamorous and exciting when you said it, really boring when you had to just sit in a car for hours and watch an alley where nothing happened.

Thankfully, I'd come prepared. While Grant had been pouring over reports and gathering tac gear for the both of us, I'd loaded the car up with snacks and low-profile games we could play to keep us busy.

If I were Skye, I would've gotten a lecture. But Grant was my SO (Significant Other) and not my SO (Supervising Officer), which meant I could get away with peer-pressuring him into a little extra nonsense.

I twisted in my seat and leaned into the back to start digging out some of the best snacks, rustling through the bags and games and gear to try to find everything I wanted.

"What are you doing?" asked Grant, sounding truly bewildered. I grunted as I grabbed the last few things I needed, then sat up quickly and faced him with a grin.

"Keeping us from going insane due to boredom for the next four hours," I said happily. I held up the chips and game I'd grabbed to demonstrate, and he sighed heavily.

"I should've known we couldn't have a regular stakeout."

"The last time you convinced me to have a 'regular stakeout', we sat in the car in dead silence for three hours. I tried to make conversation, like, a million times, and you always shut me down."

"Because we were two feet from the building we were supposed to be watching and talking could've been enough noise to alert them that we were there."

"Whatever," I waved him off and he rolled his eyes, but didn't protest anymore. He was right, I just wasn't going to admit it. "This time, the building we're watching is half a block away, so we can talk all we want. Hence-"

"Hence?"

"-delicious snacks and a fun game for us to play."

"I have a terrible feeling about this."

*****************

"Okay okay, the next one is... If you could relive an iconic day in our friendship, what would it be?"

Grant sighed and leaned back in his seat, clearly thinking hard. He'd been very stubbornly against playing games in the middle of the stakeout when we'd started, but I'd always been good at getting him to relax and have a little fun when it was just the two of us. Now, we were pretty far into my new favorite card game We're Not Really Strangers and several bags of chips and pretzels deep.