Little Moments (Jane Foster)

Summary: Dating Jane Foster means being prepared to handle a certain amount of crazy interruptions from superheroes.

****************

CRASH!

"Watch where you're going!"

I scrunched my face, trying to figure out what the hell was happening as I got dragged awake by a hushed commotion from my living room. I squinted through the dark at the alarm clock only to be near-blinded by the bright green glow:

4:03am

I groaned, rolling over on my other side to see my girlfriend, Jane foster, rubbing at her eyes.

"Hey," I managed, my voice gravelly. Jane turned to me with squinted eyes, somehow still managing to make that cute. "What's happening?"

"I don't know. Did you hear-?"

The door to our shared bedroom slammed open, and I shot straight up in bed. Silhouetted in the doorway was an absolutely giant man, long blond hair glowing with the backlighting. I thought I might be hallucinating until Jane sat forward and spoke up.

"Thor?"

"Thor?" I couldn't help echoing. The man before us just beamed.

"Hello! I apologize for interrupting the two of you - I truly wouldn't be here if it weren't urgent."

I frowned, even as Jane sat forward further.

"How did you-?"

Before she could get all the way through her question, the answer popped out from behind Thor.

"Jane, I'm so sorry!"

Darcy Lewis peeked around Thor's massive form to pop her head into the room. I huffed a sigh and flopped back against the pillows. I normally liked Darcy, but not at four in the morning. I didn't like anyone but Jane at four in the morning.

"Darcy, what's going on?"

"He just showed up at the lab!" said Darcy, pushing past Thor even further into the room. "I was there doing... stuff with Ian, and he just appeared in a blast of light like the first time we met him."

"I need your help, Jane," Thor said, stepping in to pick up the story where Darcy left off. "Something is coming for Midgard, and if we don't stop it here, it will not only lay waste to your planet, but it will aim for mine next."

Jane sighed like that wasn't the most terrifying sentence in the world, then stood at last. I'd known her long enough that I was also a little too used to this kind of thing, so I didn't move to get up, even as Jane turned to me with furrowed eyebrows.

"I'm sorry about this," she said. I gave her a tired grin and a wink.

"That's okay. I know my girlfriend's a badass who has to help save the world sometimes."

Jane flushed, and I heard Darcy make a gagging noise at the same time Thor said "aw". I ignored them both, however, as I shifted slightly lower against the headboard, working my way back to being under the covers.

"I hope you'll forgive me going back to sleep instead of getting up to help you with this, though."

Jane gave me a soft smile, leaning down across the bed to kiss me softly on the forehead. I smiled up at her, the love of my life, shooting her a little wink as I nestled down among the blankets again. I watched her walk to the door, collecting Thor and Darcy as she went, all three of them stepping out into the living room. Jane shut the door softly behind her, and I finally closed my eyes. I sighed, settling back down into the soft, warm blankets around me. I almost got all the way back to sleep before I heard another loud crash from the living room, followed by Jane's whispered reprimand, not quite loud enough for me to make out the words.

I sighed, then flung the blankets off of myself and started trudging for the living room. Peaceful sleep was likely out of the question, and I should probably go support my girlfriend anyway. I'd go to the ends of the Earth for Jane, and that was all well and good, but nobody talked about dragging yourself out of bed to go a hundred feet at four in the morning. That was the true test of love.

As soon as I cleared the bedroom door, shuffling in like a zombie, I found Thor leaning over the dining table with Darcy in the kitchen, Jane hovering over Darcy's shoulder and trying to take a bowl out of her hand.

"I'm gonna make us pancakes!" hissed Darcy, clearly trying to be quiet despite how miserably she was failing. Jane hissed back in the same tone.

"No! It's too loud, and it's four am! Just come help me go over the stuff Thor brought-"

"I'll make pancakes," I said. Jane and Darcy both froze, mid-wrestle, and turned to me, Thor looking up too with a grin on his face.

"Honey! Are you sure?" asked Jane, letting go of the bowl and taking a few steps towards me. I gave her my best tired smile and closed the rest of the distance between us, wrapping one arm around her waist.

"Yeah, I'm sure. I can't just leave my superhero girlfriend high and dry in a possibly-world-ending situation with no one to make pancakes and coffee," I said, giving her a kiss on the forehead. She smiled as Darcy piped up from the kitchen.

"Maybe start with coffee first."

"Oh, definitely start with coffee first," I agreed, at last releasing Jane and heading into the kitchen. I sighed as I finally, successfully took the bowl from Darcy, setting it down next to the coffee maker as I got things together to brew a fresh pot.

Thankfully, it didn't take long to get a coffee in my hand, then in the hands of the three people crowded around the dining table. I took a long sip of my own drink, then got to work on the pancakes while the others tried to troubleshoot whatever emergency Thor had shown up with.

Based on their tones and lack of overall panic, I had full confidence they'd find a solution to whatever the issue was. Jane especially loved nothing more than solving a challenging problem, and every time I looked over at her, her face was alight with the spark that I'd fallen in love with. Even though it was four in the morning.

Finally, the first batch of pancakes was ready to come off the griddle. Thor wandered over to me as I grabbed a spatula and started serving them up, leaving Jane and Darcy at the dining table.

"Is there anything I can do to assist you?" he asked, leaning on the counter next to me as I worked. I shook my head.

"Nope! Just go ahead and dive in. I'd tell you to bring some over to Jane and Darcy, but I know my girlfriend too well to suggest you bring syrup anywhere near a project she's working on."

Thor chuckled and grabbed a plate full of pancakes, moving to sit at the stool on the other side of the counter from me.

"You and Jane make a wonderful couple," he said, digging into the pancakes with no hesitation. I smiled at him, then let my gaze wander over to Jane behind his back. She hunched over the information before her, moving it around and discussing theories with Darcy. My smile widened as I watched her, a warm glow spreading through my heart that only intensified as she caught me looking and gave me a gorgeous smile of her own. She turned back to her work, and I reluctantly turned my attention back to the pancakes and the Asgardian before me.

"She's the best. Makes it easy to be a good couple, when my partner's so wonderful," I said. Thor hummed, a comfortable silence resting between the two of us. Despite how early and against my will I'd been dragged out of bed, and despite the less-than-casual circumstances, we'd found ourselves in a little bubble of pre-sunrise peace. I'd follow Jane anywhere, anytime, especially since sudden 4am intrusions often turned into little moments like this.