Peony (PeggySous)

Summary: Peggy and Daniel have finally moved in together after dating for a while. It seems like nothing could go wrong for the happy couple, but their worlds are rocked when a person Peggy never though she'd see again reappears in her life. Written for Peggysous week day five 😄

Peony Meaning: Bashfulness and shame (but don't worry, Peggy and Sousa still get their happy ending. I'm not really cut out for angst lol.)

****************

"Daniel, are you sure you don't need any more help?"

Peggy's long-term boyfriend Daniel Sousa, Chief of the Los Angeles SSR, had been working himself to the point of exhaustion on their latest case. Chief Jack Thompson of the New York SSR had sent the case over after getting word that their prime suspect had left New York for the sunnier West Coast, and Daniel had been working non-stop following the lead ever since.

"I'm sure, Peg, thank you. You put in crazy hours on this case last week, and it's my turn now. You need to go home and get some rest."

"I don't want to leave you here to do this by yourself..."

"I promise I'll be fine. Besides, at least one of us needs to be well-rested and fully functioning. It's your turn to be that person."

Peggy chuckled, then moved in to give her boyfriend a peck on the cheek.

"Alright, if you're sure. But call me if you need anything, and try not to stay too late."

"Promise. Love you."

"I love you too."

With that, Peggy headed out the door for home. She really had been burning the midnight oil lately, and Daniel was right. With the number of enemies they had, it wasn't a bad idea to have at least one person at full capacity at all times.

It was around six when Peggy finally got to hers and Daniel's street. It was a beautiful summer day in LA, so the sun was still high in the sky. She started planning dinner in her head as she walked towards their house. She wanted to make something Daniel could easily reheat when he finally stumbled home.

Peggy's thoughts and movements stopped like she'd hit a brick wall, however, when she turned into her walkway and saw who was standing at her front door.

Steve Rogers.

It couldn't be real. Peggy had been on the line with him when he'd gone into the ice. She'd cried over him and defended his memory, dumped the last remaining vial of his blood off the Brooklyn Bridge, and forced herself to move on from her former love. Howard had scoured the planet for any sign of him and come up short despite years of trying. Steve Rogers was dead.

Still, the man who turned to face her looked exactly like Steve. He walked like Steve, wore clothes like Steve, and smiled at her just like Steve.

"Peggy," he breathed, continuing to close the distance between them. She took a step back; she couldn't help it, she just didn't know how to process the man in front of her. He stopped walking just a few feet away from her, and Peggy couldn't take her eyes off him.

It wasn't possible, but somehow it was happening anyway. Steve Rogers was alive. Her Captain was alive.

"Steve?" Peggy finally said, barely holding back tears.

"It's me, Peg. I'm real." He held out his arms for a hug, and Peggy rushed into his arms. She squeezed him as tight as she possibly could, so there was no doubt that he was real. He was real, and he was here.

"Steve... how?" she managed, looking up at him as they pulled apart.

"It's a long story Peg." He laughed a little, rubbing the back of his neck as he looked at the ground. "A really long story."