𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐮𝐧𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐲.

SEASON: Winter
| away from home

Bavaria, Germany 🇩🇪

"'Hurt people hurt people' is more than a clever phrase; it's a sad truth. Hurt people hurt others because they themselves have been hurt. And each one of us has been hurt to one degree or another. As that damage causes us to become defensive and self-protective, we may lash out at others."

Mrs Danson explained, writing what she was saying on the clipboard.

"Hurt people tend to interpret words and behaviors personally, and tend to think of themselves as victims who have been treated unfairly. Hurt people tend to mistreat or act harshly toward others — especially those close to them — because those are the people they feel the safest and most secure around."

"We hurt the one we love for several reasons: 1) Unconscious re-creation of emotional trauma – we all experience various degrees of emotional hurt and trauma growing up. Unfortunately, we form part of our identities around whatever we experience, be it love, distance, drama, or verbal or physical abuse."

"Wymer, you are here so that you can heal these wounds. Firstly, it's important that I thank you for coming here. This is the first step. When you reach out for help and you try because you want to get better, that's very admirable. And even if you are being forced to come here, trust me when I say, that too, is a very admirable first step. Because you didn't have to show up here, but you did." Mrs Danson smiles at Wymer and he just exhales.

"The first thing you should know is that love can only be experienced through our capacity to be vulnerable and through accepting the vulnerability of another. Healthy relationships require that a person be 100% emotionally involved. Do you have a relationship that is currently struggling because you aren't 100% involved?"

Wymer shook his head.

"Okay. Why are you here? Can you tell me?"

"Don't you already know why I'm here?"

"Yes, but I wanna here from you. Not your school."

"Um...I'm here because I got in trouble for fighting at school. And...there's this girl there that I kinda like .. but I don't want her to know who I really am, because I know she will be scared of me."

"Who are you, Wymer?"

"I'm .. a nightmare. I hurt people. I beat them. Threaten them. I scare people, and I take advantage of people because it feels good, and because I can, and whoever comes near me, If I let them get too close... I just scare them off and then I'm left heartbroken all over again."

"What about hurting people makes you feel good?"

Some people enjoy the process of hurting other people. This usually stems from a deeply disturbed and potentially abusive childhood to which I believe the patient has suffered. He may be acting out things which have taken place in his own life—this time with him as the abuser—and may experience a thrill from hurting those that are close to him.