Part 2

-Benny's POV-

The boys and I walked to the sandlot. They were chatting about random stuff. Like girls. I don't need girls in my life. I can't get distracted. Baseball and family is the only thing that matters.

After everyone got into their positions, I went up to home plate and got into my hitting stance. Kenny got into his stance too. He pitched the perfect pitch to me. And I smoked the ball. It was soaring across the field. But then I saw someone. A boy. Ham stood up from behind me. I recognized that boy. He was the boy from yesterday. Yesterday, I was walking home from the sandlot. And I saw a moving truck parked in-front of a house. So my nosy self decided to look over at the house. I saw a boy. He looked about eleven. He had boxes in his hands. He then looked over at me. He waved at me. I smiled back and continued to walk up the path to my house. Well I guess I'm getting a new neighbor.

"LOOK OUT!!!" Ham yelled. I snapped back into reality as I heard Ham yell that. But I heard someone else say watch out. It was a girl. Not just any girl. Phillips' sister. Like I said earlier. I don't need any girls in my life. But there was just something different about this girl. She was the opposite of her brother. She could be mean at times. But she was usually the sweetest girl ever. I spoke to her a couple times. And she was really pretty. I turned my attention back to the boy. Who was already on the ground. Y/n ran over to the boy. She helped him up. I saw them chatting. I assumed she was just asking if he was okay. But then he got into the weirdest stance I've ever seen. It landed only two feet in-front of him.

I looked over to y/n and she was giving him the same look. I look down in guilt. It was my fault because I had hit it over there. I felt terrible. I turned my attention back to the boy when I heard laughing. It sounded like Squints. Then everyone else started laughing. I looked back at y/n. She then looked back at me. Y/n then walked over to the ball and picked it up and threw it. Damn. I thought. She has a good arm. The ball landed in Ham's glove.

"Thanks, y/n!" Ham yelled.

She gave him a small smile. I was still staring at her. She looked over at me. She then looked away smiling. I assumed she was blushing. Because I then looked away blushing too. I looked back up to see both of them gone. I sigh. We then continue playing our game.  

-Small's POV-

I was making chocolate milk. I then put the spoon down after mixing the chocolate. I took a sip. I placed it back on the counter. I then went into Bill's trophy room. I looked around. He had posters and everything. He then took what looked like a baseball out of a box. He saw me in the doorway.

"Uh, dad? I-I mean Bill." I say stuttering.

"Yeah?" He asked looking over at me.

"Could you t-teach me to play catch?" I asked.

"Yeah! Sure!- Bill said.

"Great! I-I mean thanks." I said

I still stood in the doorway. Bill must have saw me because he looked at me. He rose a brow. I took the hit.

"S-sorry." I said

But I still stood in the doorway and watched as Bill put a baseball on a trophy stand. I then walked to my room. 

-The next night-

I had gotten back from the sandlot a few hours ago, i has made such a fool of myself.

I was in my room using a science thing that me and my friend Kevin built back where I was from. I plopped the metal ball in a hole when it went around and around the it went flying out towards the door. Unexpectedly, my mom opened the door. My eyes widened.

"Goodnight hun- oof!" My mom said.

"Oh I'm sorry mom! I-it was an accident!" I said worried. She then sat in a chair and patted the end of the bed for me to sit. I took the hint and walked over to the bed and sat down.

"Scotty, have you made any friends yet?" My mother asked.

"N-no." I said.

"Why not, hun?" My mother asked.

"C-cause I'm still new." I said.

"I don't want you sitting in here all summer fiddling with this stuff like you did last summer and the one before." She stopped before she continued. "I know you're smart and I'm proud of you, but I want you to get out into the fresh air and make some friends. Run around, scrape your knees, get dirty, climb trees, hop fences get into trouble, for crying out loud. Not too much, but some. You have my permission. Now how many mothers do you know who say something like that to their sons?"

I chuckle.

"Well, none mothers I guess." I state.

"Honey, I want you to make some friends this summer, lots of them!" My mother said.

"Yeah, I know." I say. I stop for a second then continue. "But I'm not good at anything, Mom. Face it. I'm just an egghead." I say while putting my head down.

"Oh, honey, you'll always be just an egghead with an attitude like that." My mother states.

She gets up and leaves. I smile to myself. Rethinking of what she had told me. I then turn off my light and go to bed. My eyes flutter shut. What a day. I thought.