Part 14

-your POV-

We were at the drug store. We were walking out. Benny had a ball in his hand. When we all got to the field, it was Benny's turn to bat. He got into his stance. Kenny did the same. Kenny then pitched the ball and Benny hit it. But something happened. Benny had busted the ball! "HOLY SHIT!" I yell. Smalls caught the rest of the ball, while the outside of the ball landed on the ground.

"Bitchin" I say. "Nah it ain't." Benny says. "C'mon, Benny Man, maybe 2, 3 guys in history busted the guts out of a ball." Squints says. "But I mean, it's only 12 o'clock, and I just ruined the whole day for us." Benny states. "No you didn't. That's the most amazing thing I ever saw." Kenny says. "No you didn't." Smalls say. "What, you got 98 extra cents lyin' around at home, Smalls?" Benny asks. "No, but I got a ball." He states. "Go get it!" All the boys yell. I had a bad feeling in my gut. And people always say listen to your gut. But the boys wouldn't care. So I decided to ignore it.

Smalls then runs back to the sandlot with the ball in his hands. "I got the ball, guys! Here, Benny!" Smalls says to Benny. "Bitchin' your ball, your ups." Benny says handing Smalls his bat. "Here you go." Benny says. He then runs out to where Smalls played. I was still at shortstop. I look back at Benny. I shake my head. I then turn back around with that feeling still in my gut.

-Benny's POV-

I run out to left field. Y/n then looks at me. I smile at her. She just shakes her head. I look at her confused. She then turns back around. Weird. I think to myself. Next thing I knew, the ball was heading straight towards me. "Oh, man." I say backing up and looking at the ball. But it went over the fence. Smalls then got to second base.

"Uh, Smalls, third base is that way." Bertram says.

-your POV-

"Oh no. Oh no." I hear Scott repeat. "Smalls..." I say. "Who signed that ball?" I say. I knew it was signed by someone. Because I knew Smalls never had a ball on hand. And I've been to his house. And in Bill's trophy room. "You gotta be kidding me, Smalls." I say. "Nice hit, Smalls! Nice hit, yeah!" Benny says. "Who's got the big bat now, boys?!" Benny says happily. "S-Smalls?" All the boys say. I practically face palm myself. "We gotta get that ball back." Smalls and I say in sync. "Oh, yeah, right, nice and Smalls and y/n." The boys say. "No, no, you don't understand." Smalls says freaking out. "Sure we do, you feel bad because you belted a homer and now we can't play no more." Benny says calmly. "No. You don't understand that want his ball!" I yell. Benny jumps back a little. He then looks at Kenny. He gives us the side eye.

"What do you mean that wasn't your ball?" Squints asks pushing up his glasses. "I-it was my stepdads." Smalls said. "I stole it from his trophy room." Smalls says. "But we gotta get it back he's gonna kill me!" Smalls exclaims. "Listen to me, Smalls. In the matter of life and death. Where did your old man get that ball?" Squints questions. "I don't know, some lady gave it to him, why?" Smalls says. I groan. "Lady?" The boys all murmured. "Yeah, she even signed her name on it, some lady named, Ruth, Baby Ruth." Smalls says. "BABE RUTH?!?" The boys all yell as the run to the fence. I hide my face. The boys jump up on the fence. They all yell as they jump down from the fence.

"The Beast got it!" Kenny exclaims. "You're dead as a door nail, Smalls." Timmy says and Tommy repeats. "Smalls, you want to tell me that you went home and swiped a ball that was signed by Babe Ruth, and you brought it out here and actually played with?" Timmy says. "And actually played with it?" Tommy says. "Yeah, yeah. But I was gonna bring it back!" Smalls exclaims. "But it was signed by Babe Ruth!" Squints says. "Yeah, yo guys keep telling me that, who is she?!" Smalls asks. "What? What?!" Ham says. "The Sultan of Swat!" Kenny says. "The King of Crash." Bertram says. "The Colossus of Clout!" Timmy says, Tommy repeating. "Babe Ruth!" Everyone exclaims. "The Great Bambino!!" Ham yells. "Oh my god, you mean that's the same guy?!" Smalls asks. "Yes!" all of them say. "Smalls, Babe Ruth is the greatest baseball player that ever lived. I mean, people said he was less than a god, but more than a man, you know like Hercules of something." Benny says. "Smalls, that ball you just aced to The Beast, is worth, well more that your whole life, man." Benny says. Smalls falls to his knees. "We gotta get that ball back." Smalls says. "Alright, when does your old man get home from work?" Benny asks. "He's gone on business, but he could be back anytime." Smalls says. "Alright, find out when, and guys, spread out and for bottles, and cash em' in, we gotta buy us a ball." Benny says.

I begin to feel dizzy. I don't know what's happening. Everything started spinning. And next thing I know, lights out for me. "Y/n?!" The boys all yell and they shook me trying to wake me up. Benny takes my head into his lap.

-Benny's POV

"C'mon, mi amor." I say. The boys all look at me confused. "Save it for later!" I yell. They nod.

Y/n starts to move.

"Y/n?" I say. She opens her eyes. "Oh my god." Benny says. "What happened?" She says. "You fainted." I say. "Did you drink at all today?" I ask. "I don't think so." She states putting her head down. "Mi amor, you have to drink water." I say. She just nods and says sorry. I help her up. We begin to walk out of the sandlot. "I'm gonna walk you home." I say. She just nods. "Phillips isn't home, I can make it from here." She says. I nod and kiss her forehead. She began to walk off. I sigh and head to my house. I'm gonna have to tell the boys about us.