Chapter 21 : Silver Butterflies

____________________

Miss philipia... had I been useful?”

“I liked it when you depended on me...”

“I hear she's almost giving birth”

“Will you... take care of her baby?”

“miss philipia...”

“I lived well...”

“I grew up well...”

|

|

Philipia jolted awake and gasped for air, and sat up from her bed. She looks down at her hands that were trembling from fear. Large beads of sweat slide down from her forehead to her chin as she sat in a daze for a moment.

“Kyoto...” she muttered and muffled her sob, fearing she might wake her uncle and brother up who were asleep in the living room.

It had been 5 days after that incident and 5 days after Kyoto's death. Ever since then, philipia has never had a good sleep. She would often wake up sweating and trembling all over as though she hasn't seen someone die in front of her.

She was still little and her mind was still immature when Perla died so she wasn't affected much, only when she grew up and finally understood a little did she mourn during her death anniversaries.

The days of sleepless nights and repeating nightmares were when she experienced it for the first time when Kati died. But thanks to it, she grew strong and mentally stable for the things that came after it. But perhaps she had been idle for a long time that she's experiencing it once again.

For her, death isn't an abstract thing anymore. For her, death has become concrete.

Philipia got off the bed and went to the bathroom to wash her face. She looks at herself in the mirror and saw her pale complexion.

Even though she wasn't close to Kyoto, they did make a lot of memories together.

Sighing, she walked out of the bathroom and flinched when she saw Greg leaning by the door frame. “B-brother Greg... You scared for a second there” she said, holding her chest.

Greg raised a brow and examine his sister who looked pale and nervous. “Bad dream?”

Philipia didn't even hide it. She nodded her head.

“It's always the best to drink something warm while talking late at night,” Greg said, gesturing for her to sit. He pulled a chair from the dining table before he went to the kitchen and make hot cocoa with marshmallows.

Philipia waited for a minute before Greg placed a mug in front of her and sat down. “so what's keeping you up pearl?”

Philipia takes the mug and cups it with her hands, feeling that warmth transferring to her palm. “I thought I'd get used to it; the deaths, killings... I thought I'd grown immune, but I couldn't. No matter how many I kill, how many times I've seen things that couldn't be unseen, I still can't get used to it”

Greg takes a sip, listened well, and studies her expression.

“Brother, when Kyoto died in my arms. I felt her warmth dissipate like air, it was as if it was being sucked out until nothing was left, I could save her but I can't. Even though I tried to force it, bleeding from the eyes and nose, not even a little bit of her wound was healed. Brother, what am I? I'm a female leader but what am I?”