Flustered with Popcorn

I hear a knock on my door. I roll over in blob form as I try to concentrate on turning back into myself.

Did I lock the door for sure?

I peek up at the doorknob. The lock isn't pushed in all the way. George and Sapnap could walk in and see me like this. If they come in and see me I'll never be able to change back. I can't have any eyes on me to transform.

I focus intensely on changing back. Just expand, let your legs and arms grow back.

"Dream?" I hear Georges voice.

Just change back, calm down. The painful feeling tugs at my gut. The doorknob twists after another knock on the door.

I tuck my knees to my chest as the door swings open. Sapnap and Georges eyes go wide at the position I am in.

"Dream, what's wrong?" George crouches next to me placing a hand on my back.

I push my legs out in front of me. "What? Nothing, I'm fine." I look at and flex my now returned fingers, subtly.

George and Sapnap examine me, seemingly not convinced.

"Are you messing with us?" Sapnap asks.

You're right. I am messing with you, I'm definitely not fine. I am cursed to become a blob uncontrollably. It's extremely embarrassing, but if I think about it for too long I just might become a blob. I am most definitely not okay.

"No, no." I stand up and their eyes follow me. I raise my eyebrows. "Really! I'm okay."

They continue to stare, George now on his feet. "Let's just, watch a movie or something."

I watch George and Sapnap glance between each other, having a silent conversation.

I grab both of their arms and drag them from my room. "C'mon. Movie time! I'll make the popcorn." My enthusiasm gets them moving.

I start pulling snacks from my pantry as Sapnap looks through some of the movies I own. He is naming them off out loud to, I assumed George, until he bumps my arm.

"George." I say with a slight gasp. He caught me off guard.

"Dream," he smiles lightly. "Are you really feeling alright? You keep running off on me. I feel like you're hiding something and it's so strange. We're best friends right? You would tell me if something was wrong."

I move my gaze from the timer on the microwave to George's dark eyes swirling with concern. He makes my heart melt. We are best friends, but this is just something I definitely cannot tell them. I don't know how they will react with their best friend being a mythical creature or whatever I am.

"George," my voice is soft. "I-It's more complicated than that. I want to tell you, I just-"

"We're watching Enchanted and I don't want to hear any complaining-" Sapnap stops short and notices the mood change in the room. "Oh, are you guys... I'll just-"

The timer for the popcorn goes off. "No, no." I force a smile. "Here. Grab a bowl and take this into the living room. Enchanted sounds great!"

Sapnap smiles and grabs the bowl of popcorn from my hands. George gives me a look that says 'we will talk later' and follows Sapnap to the living room.

Was I about to tell George about my curse? Not a good idea Dream. Don't do dumb things.

I let the second popcorn bag finish popping before I dump it in a bowl and make my way into the living room. George and Sapnap are sitting next to each other on the big couch, but as I enter Sapnap scoots to the other end of the couch leaving the middle for me. He has his hand stuck in the bowl of popcorn, the other hand holding the remote out to press play on the movie.

I collapse on the couch in between George and Sapnap and prop my legs up on the coffee table in front of me. The Disney castle plays on the screen and I hand the bowl of popcorn to George.

"Do you guys want blankets? I forgot to grab some."

Sapnap shoves his face with popcorn. "Sure, and water too."

I smile at his childlike actions.

"Need any help?" George asks.

"Uhh..." Is he trying to continue our conversation from earlier? I don't know if I really want that to happen right now. "I'll be fine." I flash a fake smile.

George stands up. "It's no big deal." His smile is more of a sneer.

He knows what I'm doing.

"Okay," I say through my teeth.

We walk away from Sapnap and he calls out, "Don't go making out in your room you two!"

I face palm and feel heat rise to my cheeks. Stupid Sapnap.

"You grab water bottles from the pantry and I'll grab blankets from my room. Okay?"

I don't wait for him to respond. Sapnap's comment had an effect on me and I feel it tingling in my limbs. I scoff at myself. Making out in my room? I'm such a simp, practically anything will make me blush. I close my bedroom door behind me, lock it, and cover my burning cheeks with my hands. I growl in frustration as my body shrinks down into blob form.

Stupid Sapnap and his big mouth, stupid George and his cute face, and loveable... everything, stupid me for being so easily flustered, and stupid sorceress lady for cursing me. What did I ever do to her?

I want to scream at my horribly bad luck. When was it my turn to have good luck? It has been far too long since something good has come my way, it's always ruined with my dumb curse.

I internally sigh and try to focus on returning to my regular form. I painfully stretch back into myself and sigh in defeat. I'm laying starfish on the floor when George knocks on my door.

The blankets!

I stand up and grab a pillow off my bed before swinging my door open.

"Did- did you already grab the water?" I ask, slightly out of breath.

"Yeah. And it looks like all you've found is a pillow."

I laugh fakely. "Right... I got distracted. My bad. Here," I shove the pillow at him and open my closet door. I start piling blankets in his open arms and shove a couple into mine. I close the door and spin around to leave the room, but George is still standing there.

"Dream." His tone of voice is serious. "Just stop, please."

He plops the bedding on the floor and grabs my wrist. My shoulders sink.

"Can we talk about it later?" I plead.

He sighs. "Only if you promise you will."

I look down at George's hand on my wrist. "Yeah, okay."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

"Okay, let's watch a movie."

We gather up the blankets and head back to the living room.

Thanks for reading! I hope you have a wonderful day!

1166 words