Peonies and Rings | Ling x Reader

Written: 26-08-2021

➳ Officer!Reader
➳ Angst

Time for me to... ciao.

»»—-—««

Today marks another milestone and maybe, one to remember for many years to come.

It's the fifth anniversary of being in an official relationship with Ling. Starting as an unexpected friendship, it gradually turned into something more. And being the bolder and louder one, you decided to take chances and asked him out. You were expecting a rejection, but it came as a surprise when he accepted you.

And naturally, love blossoms along the way.

Wanting to surprise you for the anniversary, Ling has meticulously planned out the evening, even resorting to seeking advice from his close comrades. Hopefully, it catches you off guard, and in a good way. His only request for you is to dress your very best, and he will pick you up once your shift has ended.

The usually aloof male strolled through the rows of jewellery stores at his own pace, his eyes flickering left and right. Taking a brief whiff of the exquisite peonies secured within the bend of an arm, he pictured your goofiness, and the corners of his lips lifted slightly. Immersed in his thoughts, he eventually neglected the vibrating phone in his side pocket.

The number you have dialled is currently unavailable. Please leave your message after the tone. Thank you.

Together for five years, there was a point where Ling envisioned his future, one with you in it. As his feelings became prominent, he knew that you are all he ever wanted. Though cold and distant, your boyfriend does not lack emotions. With you, he can be himself, and the masked gentleness beneath his hardened facade will make an appearance. To an extent, he is also human.

You are Ling's soulmate, his everything. Not a day goes by where he lowkey desires to wake up to the beautiful you. He yearns for a day where he can smother you with kisses, laughing as you attempt to defend yourself weakly. Life could not get more beautiful.

The marriage proposal will happen after dinner. Ling lowkey anticipates your reaction as he pops the big question. Currently, he is shopping for wedding bands, having gotten your favourite flowers already.

The number you have dialled is currently unavailable. Please leave your message after the tone. Thank you.

The modern storefront design captured his attention, and the male stopped in his tracks. The store's service does not disappoint, him being instantly served by a saleslady just as he set foot down on the polished marble tiles. "Good evening, sir. What would you like to look at?"

"Wedding bands."

"Of course, sir. Is there a particular design you have in mind?"

"Perhaps one that is simple yet sophisticated."

"Give me a moment while I get them." The sales lady rounded a corner and brought out a tray of jewellery display stand from the glass box. With cautious steps, she returned to Ling and set it down before him. "This collection of weddings bands is currently trending among young couples."

The said male inspected the display, his long fingers softly rubbing and feeling the smoothness of the bands. He finally settled on a matching pair with diamonds embedded around the circumference. After making his purchase, he slipped the tiny black box into the pocket of his waistcoat and made haste to your workplace, pulling out his phone along the way to give you a call, but only to realise there are two missed calls and a voice message from you.

Ling immediately placed the phone next to his ear and played the recorded message, not having a single hint that this will be the last time he hear your voice.

"H-hey babe. I don't t-think I can turn up for our date. Something w-went wrong *COUGH* during work, a-and I'm afraid I won't *COUGH* be able to *COUGH* m-make it out alive. I'm so so sorry, my love..." Your voice choked out hurriedly, knowing that time is slipping from your hands.

"Please know that n-none of this is *COUGH* your fault. Didn't you say that our love transcends through space and time? You are mine forever, and I'll see you again. I love you to the very end, my dear Cyan Finch." With another harsh cough, you spoke your last few words. And then, silence.

Hands involuntary quivering as they fell by his sides, the Cyan Finch's grip loosened, and the bouquet of peonies carelessly slipped from his hold. Shell-pink petals scattered all over the floor as it landed on the pavement with a soft thud. And just like the fragments of his broken heart, they cannot return to their state of origin. If only he insisted for you to take the day off from work. Perhaps, this wouldn't have happened.

The wind gently caressed his pale skin as it carried the thousands of shattered pieces away, leaving behind a confused male who remained stumped as grief and despair overcame him. His legs buckled, and he went on his knees, all for the wrong reason. What is he supposed to do now?

As if the skies have heard the silent pleas of the grieving man, they opened up. Though, they could not console him nor fill the hollowness in his chest. The numbing pain coursed through his veins, and the roars and claps of the thunder soon drowned out his stifled cries.

Dreams and hopes shattered, the future is no longer visible.

»»—-—««