Flames of Despair | Valir x Reader

Written: 22-08-2020

»»—-—««

When the first ray of light bursts beyond the horizon, it signalled another day of battle for the heroes in the land of dawn. The heroes participating were seen going about as they made the necessary arrangements for the match later. As the current matches are prefixed a day before, the team will have the rest of the day to themselves to plan and discuss their strategies.

With a hard smack, you snoozed the ringing alarm before wiggling your butt out of bed and stretching like a cat. After washing up, you trudged down the stairs to join the rest for breakfast.

Sitting around the dining table are your teammates for the first battle. Popol and his companion, Kupa, were wolfing down a large portion of meat whereas Khufra was having a full English breakfast. Luo Yi sat beside Khufra, sipping tea, and X.Borg is still nowhere to be seen. You figured he will arrive on time so you let him be.

Picking up a plate, you grabbed some fluffy pancakes and drizzled them with honey before taking a seat beside Luo Yi.

"I'm sleep deprived," you let out an ugly yawn.

"(Y/N), you need to cover your mouth when you yawn," Luo Yi chastised as she took another sip of her Earl Grey tea. "It's unsightly to do this at the dining table."

"Sure, sure," you responded and tiredly rubbed your eyes.

"Where's the kiddo?" Khufra spoke up.

"I think he's still asleep. After all, growing kids need all the rest they can get," you continued, shrugging your shoulders as you dug into your pancakes. "Don't worry, though. He's a responsible kid, so I trust him to be punctual."

For the rest of the breakfast, the team went over their devised battle tactics once more before making the short journey to the base. True to their eyes, X.Borg is already there when they arrived. As the countdown began, everyone took their positions on the platform.

You are a nervous wreck but you were not going to show it. You do not want to burden your teammates, lest you bring the entire team down. You bit on your lower lip, feeling the sweat being produced on the lines of your palms. Rubbing them against your tights to rid the moisture, you closed your eyes and tried to even your breathing.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

The platform rose higher with each count, officially sending the team onto the battlefield.

It's time.

From afar, you watched the entire scene from your peripheral vision as you farmed for the buff.

Uranus charged in as Yi Sun-Shin followed behind, dealing damage along the way as he took cover behind the tank. Khufra jumped in and bounced, taking the marksman by surprise as Luo Yi appeared from nowhere, repeatedly casting her Yin and Yang magic.

As if your team has calculated every move, the marksman's health started depleting quickly, and soon, his corpse laid on the battlefield, unmoving.

"Run!" Luo Yi's sharp voice rang throughout the field as huge crimson balls flew towards them. The team scattered in all directions, but Balmond was quick to deal another attack. This time, his eyes locked onto the fleeing geomancer.

Letting out a panicked yelp, Luo Yi ran as she occasionally looked back to cast her Fire of Yang in hopes of slowing the fighter down. To no avail, Balmond did a Cyclone Sweep before slamming his axe down. Ouch.

"Bite 'Em, Kupa!"

Perfect. Popol was observing from the bushes near the crab before sending out his best partner. The wolf pounced at the command, latching its jaws on the arms of Valir as spears rained on him without remorse.