Chapter 18 - "Sacrifice"

*This book is for wattpad readers only! NovelHD and teenfic has replicated some of my books with no permission or authority.This is stealing.

#novelhdsteals #notonovelhd #teenficsteals #shametoteenfic&novelhd

"I guess that's just part of loving people: You have to give things up."

The battle was over, the long and tragic chase was finally put to an end. The pack was able to eliminate the threat but at what cost? It hardly seemed fair and worth it.

I held on to Lorraine, she looked so peaceful with her eyes still closed. I knew I could never recover from this. They all tried to console me but to loose Lorraine was to loose a sister.

"There is a way" Charmaine said, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I stared at her with hopeful eyes. The pain was unbearable. Disbelief swirled around me that Lorraine's life was snuffed out so fast there was nothing else anyone could do. What was I going to tell her family?

"Oh my god Nana!!" I yelped.

"She's fine, Bullet stayed with her." Woody said in a whisper. My shoulders relaxed a bit as my gaze returned to Charmaine.

"Tell me what to do, I cant loose Lorraine, not like this"  I said with conviction.

Charmaine explained that there was a ritual that we can do to summon Lorraine's spirit back. But we must act quickly before the spirit leaves the mortal plane. There is a catch though, an exchange. Since the ritual requires manipulating and managing intangible forces, the sacrifice would be great.

I would loose something important. The price will be high and I would not know when or what will be taken. I still agreed to it, thinking, I'll just figure out the rest later. I started to sob again. My Dad hugged me from behind. Tayler held my hand.

"Do what you have to. I support your choice" Tayler said gruffly.

"Are you sure about this V? We dont know what consequences will take place. But I will do as you ask" Charmaine said trembling.

I stood up freeing myself from my Dad's embrace. I didn't have to think about it. I love Lorraine and all be damned if I didn't do everything I could to save her.

"Lets do it" I said my voice breaking.

Charmaine nodded as she started making calls. It wasn't long when Bullet accompanied by my sister came holding a bag with candles, odd looking rocks and a jeweled dagger.

Bullet was holding a leather bound book, it looked old and musty but somehow weaved in magic. He peered through it with intent as he started drawing strange symbols around me and Lorraine. Sajie also started circling us, clockwise, placing the odd looking rocks where Bullet has drawn the symbols.

Simultaneously, walking counter clockwise, was Woody lighting the candles.

As soon as the last candle was lit, I felt an invisible force connect me to Lorraine.

"Spirits high, spirits low, Spirits gone,
this child of woe.

Hands of death. Start the fire.
Bright ambition, life transpire.

Promise kept, soul survive
to the living, let the dead come alive."

Charmaine chanted in a singsong voice. She stepped closer to me and Lorraine as she held my hand up. With a sudden movement, she slashed my palm with a dagger letting a gash of blood trickle down. She held my wrist higher letting the crimson gold slide to my arms.

"As sudden death peirced the night,
Exchange with breath, let life ignite

Mortal being, soul a flight,
Bring Lorraine back to our hearts delight."

Charmaine continued to chant, musically, emphasizing each word. She mimicked the same motion as she slashed Lorraine's palm.

"Mask of flesh, blood a fell
Bone to grind, sacred flame

Awaken from slumber,
We call to claim
At this spell
Let the slain rise again"

Charmaine joined my hand with Lorraine's. A miniture sun, like a small smouldering ball of fire appeared a top of our joint hands. It screamed power, both of dark and light. I could see images of Lorraine, her life - like a video reel in fast motion. The ball of light thrusted itself upon Lorraines chest as it raised a bit. The impact extinguished the candle flame surrounding us.

Her eyes began to flutter but her body remained still. It was about an hour before Lorraine took her first breath.

She gazed at each one of us giving a half awed half wondering look.

"No, freakin' way!" she said, tremolously.

"This is beyond the limitations of my imagination!"  She continued.

"Oh no Nana!" Lorraine shrieked as she sat up. Realizing she needed a little rest before shes able to stand up.

"V, your mark, its gone!" Sajie said in shock. Pointng at the crook of my neck.

Everyone now had their eyes on me. My hand immediately lifted to the part where the mark use to be, it was gone. I was mortified, as I saw Tayler dazed in confusion.

His presence was no longer in my subconscious. I could no longer hear him. My eyes started to water as Tayler rushed over to hug me.

"Don't worry about it, I can always mark you again" Tayler said taking a deep breath.

"Guys, I'm not sure about whats going on but I saw alot of crazy juju, can someone explain whats going on?"  Lorraine said scratching her head.

=======================

The next day we went to visit Lorraine at her house, her Nana seemed to be doing well with no recollection of the long straneous night. But this was the conversation, I hadn't seen coming. Lorraine had her bags packed.

"Hey V" she said with an awkward smile.

"What's going on? Where are you going?" I asked.

Lorraine gave me a weak smile and told me she needed time to think. Coming back from the dead wasn't that easy for her. It wasn't just a walk in the park. She told me that she'd be back soon but didn't give me a specific time on when. It was like she was hiding something from me.

We did let her in on the secrets of the Eventide world though. She took it pretty well given all thats happened.

"What about Jp?" 

Lorraine just shrugged her shoulders. There was nothing else that I could do, so I kissed her and hugged her goodbye.

______________

It has been several days, a week in counting. Lorraine, was aloof to all my text messages and rarely answered my calls. It was unlike her to be so distant and uninterested with whats going on.

Aiden has shown progress by chumming up with Tayler for some reason, maybe them fighting side by side sealed the deal on their unexpected friendship. Well, boys will be boys. I didn't really know what to make of it but I surely missed Lorraine.

I decided since her birthday is coming up we should take the party to her. That would surprise her. So I gathered my stuff, called Tayler and hit the road.

P.S.

Aiden was not left out. He was with Tayler when I called.
===============

Thoughts from the Author:

I revised the whole book ... Im not sure if its better but I tried to be more descriptive. I hope you enjoyed reading this and continue to the next book.

Book 2 Rapture