33 // Written in the Stars

C H A P T E R   33 :   W R I T T E N   I N   T H E   S T A R S

When I finally arrived at the mansion, Elektra was nowhere in sight. She must have left soon after I went to New York so that she would be gone before students started waking up and raising questions. I didn't see Logan anywhere either, and my heart flinched at the thought he might have gone with her. They had a history, after all, which reminded me of how much more he had lived in comparison with me and how little I really knew about him.

Shaking my head to empty it from its useless thinking, I looked around and realized a part of me felt different. Better. Encountering Peter and making peace with him had given me something I didn't even know I was looking for. Closure, and thus the entrance to a fresher start.

Then I noticed something else.

A bunch of students were gathered around a picnic table attentively watching something on a phone. I narrowed my eyes to expand my vision and my heart backflipped in my chest when I realized it was a video of me being saved by Spider-Man in New York, hours before.

"Oh, crap." I muttered, trying to walk towards the mansion as fast as I could. I had the stolen mask on in the video, so maybe they hadn't recognized me, but still, the last thing I needed after so many exhausting days was being inquired by loud, hormonal teenagers.

But I should have known by now, luck was not my middle name.

"Hey, Felicia!" I heard one of them shout. "Come see this."

"No, thanks." I gave them a side glance. "Unless it's Captain America playing frisbee, I pass."

"It's Spider-Man saving a hot chick. And guess what," one of them clicked their tongue, "she looks a lot like you."

"Must be my stunt double, then. Or my long-lost sister."

"Oh, come on, those curves don't fool anyone and you know it."

They fool a lot of people, actually. Sighing, I made my way up there and glanced at the video. Despite everything, I couldn't help but smile. Spider-Man and I did make a great team.

"So what if it's me? Do you want details on how he smelled or what?"

"But what was it like?" A girl asked expectantly. "Being in Spider-Man's arms?"

Underneath my skin, my impatience was boiling. I wanted to tell her I had done more than being in his arms, but perhaps that would shock this PG-13 audience.

"That's the million dollar question, isn't it?" I said. "I don't know. I was, as I'm sure you can imagine, too worried about saving mine and everyone else's ass. But hey, next time it happens, I'll make sure to ask time to stop itself so I can properly answer your relevant question. Until then, don't even bother."

With that, I stormed away, not caring if I had been too harsh on them. I was not in the best of moods now. If these kids had been able to identify me, so would my friends. So would Logan.

And Logan would be able to connect the dots and see colors where everyone else only saw grey.

When I opened the mansion's door, I almost got run over by Longshot. As soon as he noticed me, a perfect bright smile filled his face.

"Felicia! I wanted to congratulate you for what you did in New York. From what I've seen you managed to use your power to dodge the bullets, right?"

"Yes." I answered, not wanting to prolong the conversation. All I wanted was to fall on my bed and have a much needed night of sleep. Or day, in this case.