6 // Tell Me if it Hurts

C H A P T E R   6 :   T E L L   M E   I F   I T   H U R T S

"Mayday! Mayday!
The ship is slowly sinking
They think I'm crazy but they don't know the feeling
They're all around me
Circling like vultures
They wanna break me and wash away my colors
Wash away my colors

I cannot stop this sickness taking over
It takes control and drags me into nowhere
I need your help, I can't fight this forever
I know you're watching,
I can feel you out there"

"You can go now." Logan said to the class when the lesson finished. "Not you, Felicia."

Dyani and Bobby mouthed me 'good luck' as they passed by me towards the refreshing bath that awaited them in the mansion. Hiding my jealousy, I reached for a bottle of water watching from the corner of my eye Logan cleaning the sweat on his face with a white towel.

"This is how it's going to be." Logan said, gesturing for me to get closer. I was sweaty, but not tired, anxious, but not fearful. "I talk, you do. I exemplify, you repeat. As many times as I demand. No complains. I want verbal conversation to be as limited as possible."

"What if I have a question?"

"You ask it trying to use as little words as you can."

"Yes, sir." I sneered. Logan hung the towel in one of the machines a little too harshly.

"Look, kid," He retorted, turning my words against me once again. Knowing I had to be careful around this one was pissing me off. He knew how to play my game. Heck, he played it well. But isn't that what makes it so much fun to you? "As you may already know, I didn't know untill recently I would have to give you these lessons, and I'm gonna be completely honest with you, I'm not looking forward to them. I have no idea why Charles would think this was a good idea--"

"Have you tried asking him?" I interrupted in a mocking tone.

"He said we all need to step out of our comfort zones once in a while. But if I can't say no to this, I think he should have at least warned me earlier. I don't know you or your abilities and I've never done this before. Usually when mutants have physical powers that need to be worked on they enroll on extra combat training lessons, but I never had to give them in private."

"It's my first time as well--" Don't look at me like that! I couldn't let this opportunity pass!

"Charles told me about your claws." Logan played his trump card. Goddammit, Charles.  

"Bothered you're not the only one anymore?" I provoked.

"Yes." He said, catching me off guard. I didn't expect a honest answer. "Because I have been through a lot of pain to have these claws and I'm wondering if the same happened to you or if yours came naturally. Charles didn't mention your origins, said it was your personal life and that he had no right to expose your privacy without your consent, that it was your choice to reveal it. He praises giving his students freedom to decide who they want to be while they're here."

Even being mad at him, Logan still talked about Charles with an imense amount of respect and gratitude. I wondered what having them felt like.

"So... while I understand and respect your decision of not telling me anything, knowing a little bit about your abilities would help me helping you."

I swallowed. Logan and I did have more in common than what I thought. I pondered on whether or not I should lie. I could make something up. Invent a clean, happy story for me. Turn my background into a fairytale. But it was of no use. Pretending that pain wasn't there didn't unfortunately actually make it disappear. And Charles knew. He probably didn't tell Logan about how I got my abilities so that I would. This was a first step towards something else. My first test. And I didn't want to fail.