49 // Steal me the Sun

C H A P T E R   49 :   S T E A L   M E   T H E   S U N

"Here we go again
I kinda wanna be more than friends
So take it easy on me
I'm afraid you're never satisfied
Here we go again
We're sick like animals
We play pretend
You're just a cannibal
And I'm afraid I won't get out alive
No, I won't sleep tonight

Oh, oh
I want some more
Oh, oh
What are you waiting for
Take a bite of my heart tonight
Say goodbye to my heart tonight"

The last thing I expected to be doing on an early morning in the midst of March was stepping on a bus with my backpack swung over my shoulder as my friends passed coffee cups around and complained about the indecisive weather, which was currently unable to decide whether to be sunny, cloudy, chilly or all of the above. Weather reminded me of teens, really, always changing moods in a matter of seconds.

"We're mutants." I said, dropping into the seat next to Bianca's at the back of the bus and drumming my fingers on my leg impatiently. What was it with school trips and them never starting on time? "Why can't we just teleport to whatever we're going?"

"But what's the fun in that?" Bianca replied, a blue beanie pulled almost to her nose and covering her ears. "It's not a school trip without the trip."

"Trips are loud and suffocating." I retorted. "Always hated them in school."

"That's because you weren't with us." Alex replied from behind us, hovering over our seats like it was still his space, his crooked smile sliding across his lips. Last week the school had announced a school trip to the Adirondacks Mountains, more precisely to Lake George and its surroundings, in an attempt to raise the kids' spirit after the events of the previous month. It was a nice gesture of the teachers, and I had signed up purposely to skip classes until I realized it was actually just a weekend. Ah, me and luck. Still a better love story than Twilight. "I have a feeling this is going to be a memorable trip."

"Things that are memorable aren't always necessary good." I retorted, resting my head against the seat to look at him. "Why are you even coming? You're not regular students."

"For school trips we are." Roberto answered as he helped a girl put her luggage above the seats. "Besides, there's no missions for us right now. Camping sounds better than staying at the mansion doing nothing."

"Not to me, I'm an expert on the art of doing nothing and procrastinating." I replied, turning forward and eyeing a blue-eyed, dark-skinned boy with interest as he approached the empty seat next to Bobby, in front of me. He was saving it for Rogue, who had begged all of us not to let her end up seating next to Gambit, who was on the other side of the corridor behind Kitty and Piotr. It amazed me that he had come at all, he didn't seem like the type of it, but maybe Rogue's presence had something to do with it.

"Hi, I was wondering..." The boy started, catching Bobby's attention who had been looking absentminded out the window. "Can I sit here?"

I watched intrigued as Bobby just stared at him, taking in on the guy's appearance before completely freezing as if his power was in charge.

"I was actually..."

"He'd love if you sat next to him!" Rogue's loud voice was heard from behind the new guy, a casual arm thrown around him amicably. 'Don't worry about me', she mouthed to Bobby before bluntly winking at him, a gesture the other guy didn't see since his eyes hadn't moved from Bobby's.

"Well, yeah, sure." Bobby ended up saying, and Bianca and I shared a look when the guy finally sat next to him and our friend visibly tensed. "I'm Bobby."