7 // You Just Want Attention

C H A P T E R   7 :   Y O U   J U S T   W A N T   A T T E N T I O N

Logan wasn't lying. He definitely showed me how fighting could go from fun to eternal torture. Some days all my muscles were sore and every inch of my body was hurting but Logan showed me no mercy. In the group combat lessons he was always harder on me. If everyone else did something ten times, I had to do it twenty. He doubled everything for me. Except kindness.

And my dilemma was loving and hating it at the same time. Logan was strict and harsh and accepted no complains, but fighting made me feel alive. And seeing I was improving in so little time made me excited about the changes I could have long-term.

If he demanded so much of me it was because he knew I was up to the test, and in a way, I appreciated the confidence he gave me, even though he never truly showed it to me. He was resolute on making me forget about being sexy in a fight to focus on being effective, but I was determined to show him I could be effective and sexy at the same time.

I didn't have to lose my glamour to be victorious. Just ask Black Widow.

On Friday, after the group training lesson was finished, Dyani approached me.

"Party tonight by the lake. To celebrate the start of classes."

"I love parties, but that is a horrible reason to throw one." I pointed out.

Dyani smiled.

"It's not so much about the classes, but the returning home. Many kids here dread summer because they have nowhere to go. Of course they can stay here but... it's not the same thing as having a full house. So... you coming?"

"Count me in."

***

Heads turned when I arrived at the lake at night. I blamed my little black dress that clung to my curves for that and approached Dyani with a smile. She was all dolled up for the party: every inch of her skin that was visible was transformed into a material, creating a wonderful contrast of colors and substances. It could have looked hideous, but, in reality, she was a beautiful kaleidoscope generating a light of her own.

"This is better than what I expected." I admitted, looking around at the students, the music, the lights. The smell of beer and pheromones invaded my nose and I tried to ignore it. Sometimes having enhanced senses was a reall pain in the ass, but at least it gave me a good insight on people's intentions.

"Non-mutants hate us because of our parties." Dyani said with a smile as she handed me a beer.

"No, thanks. I refuse to introduce in my system substances that can mess with my self control, plus the scent is disgusting. You only drink that because you can't smell it to the core, believe me."

Dyani smirked and took a big sip.

"Lucky me, then."

"Hello, beauties." Alex greeted us with a grin and a playful hand on my bare shoulder to where Roberto's eyes were shooting daggers. I felt my heart skip a beat in antecipation.

"I thought this was a student's party." Dyani said. "Are the rest of the X-Men coming too?"

Alex rolled his eyes.

"My brother is with Jean so I'm sure none will appear here tonight. Everyone else is either in mission, absent, sleeping or, well... missing. We're the only adults here to watch over you kids, relax."

"Don't forget about me." I intervened with a smirk.

"Never." Alex winked at me.

"What are you talking about?" Dyani joked with a malicious smile. "According to Logan you are not a woman yet."