36 // Ace of Spades

C H A P T E R   36 :   A C E   O F   S P A D E S

Felicia's POV

When I returned to the party, a few minutes before Logan, everyone was inside listening to Charles' welcoming speech.

"Where have you been?" Bianca asked me.

"Around." I said vaguely, my insides boiling when I saw Logan making his way towards Neena. I couldn't believe I had just wasted my chance with him to watch him have his chance with others. I grabbed a glass of champagne from the table and took a long sip but stopped before the next. This was something my younger self would have done, not me. Even if it hurt, I could handle it. I was not going to let anyone, not even Logan, influence my actions. I wasn't going to do something I hated just because I was feeling something I hated. I was above that now. I had grown enough.

"Everything alright, angel eyes? Need me to set some arse on fire?" Lewis chipped in, carrying a plate full of appetizers from the table and sharing it with everyone. Having him here and seeing him mingle with my friends made me feel a little bit better.

"Or I can freeze it if you prefer." Bobby retorted, sharing a quick, joyous glance with Lewis, and I was glad at least one of my ideas had worked out. If there was anything I knew, it was that the least-expected combinations were often the fittest. Bobby seemed happier now, and against all odds, I bet it was Lewis who had made him feel that way. Often our rivals knew our way around us better than we thought.

"No, it's okay." I noticed the purple-dressed woman next to the angel-looking guy and signaled them to Alex. "Who are they?"

"Betsy and Warren, aka Psylocke and Archangel. Fun fact: Psylocke has dated my brother, and Archangel has dated Dazzler."

"Seriously, does everyone here have a love life as crowded as all the MTV Shore's contestants?" I let out bitterly as someone started putting on music after Charles finished his speech. "Finally! Hothead..."

"No need to ask, angel." Lewis said, taking me by the hand to the center of the gym and instantly making other people part to watch us dance. Roberto and the others followed us swiftly, with more people joining too.

As a new song started, I looked around the room. Logan was not paying me any attention, so I made sure that by the end of the song, everyone was.

***

Logan's POV

As I watched her from across the room, all I could think was how she was unbelievable. Every time I thought I had her figured out, she came up with a new side I had yet to unravel. Thinking of her body glued to mine, in her room, our lips almost touching... thinking how she stepped back right after I decided this time I was going to kiss her and fuck everything else. Seeing her dance like that with all eyes on her, hearing their hearts, smelling their desire... there was hardly any man in the room tonight indifferent to Felicia Hardy, and the ridiculous song that was playing proved just that.

Tell me what the beat says check you from the back
I can tell that you're vibin' from the way that you move
I sneak a glance now you're walking right past
Pardon me, miss, don't mean to be so rude
I'm loving how you dance

She was dancing in between Roberto and Lewis, more provocatively than ever, and they were playing along. When her body moved, theirs moved. When they got closer, she pulled away. When she got closer, they stayed.

I say ah, are you coming back to me?
It's a disatrophe
Like come on, are you really feeling apathy
I got the moves, make you come on running after me

Cause baby, oh my, well it's unfair
Looking like that, make a gentleman stare
Oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my
Feisty!