43 // Bring Me Back

C H A P T E R   43 :   B R I N G   M E   B A CK

"How can you see into my eyes like open doors?
Leading you down, into my core
Where I've become so numb, without a soul
My spirit's sleeping somewhere cold
Until you find it there and lead it back home

Now that I know what I'm without
You can't just leave me
Breathe into me and make me real
Bring me to life

I've been living a lie, there's nothing inside"

Logan's POV

I didn't know what took over me, but next thing I knew, I had slain all the soldiers in the hallway before the kids had time to arrive and realize what was happening.

"Jesus," Spider-Man, with his quick mouth, was the first to react. "When did this rescuing mission become the set of a bad horror movie?"

"I don't have to give you any explanations." I snapped, my claws still throbbing even though they had nothing else to slash. "If you don't agree with my working methods, you're free to go."

"No, it's just... well, people aren't kidding when they say what Wolverine does best isn't very nice."

"Logan, was this really necessary?" Bianca said just above a whisper, looking down at the mutilated corpses with her face turning as green as her hair. "We weren't in real danger."

"The entire base is looking for Felicia, and they won't rest until they find her. And I can assure you, they will be the ones not playing nice if they capture her. Do you really think, in your right minds, that I'll allow that?"

"Logan, we know how important she is to you, but—"

"No, you don't." I cut Bobby off. "Now let's go. We need to find her before they do, or this whole building is going to turn into a slaughterhouse."

"Goddammit, Logan," Lewis said, taking a defiant step towards me, and I could have sworn I'd seen real flames dancing in his eyes, "if you really go this far for her, don't you think she should know?"

I crossed my arms over my chest, my ears still attentive at any possible newcomers. I knew that, unlike the others, if Lewis wanted, he'd confront my authority; all of him was made of riots. In a revolution he'd be the kind of person that doesn't stand with either side. I bet he would be an anarchist even against anarchy.

"What are you talking about?"

"Do I really need to spell it out?" He tilted his head to the side, and I didn't like how his eyes seemed to know me better than me. I didn't know him, he didn't know me. And yet we both did. Through her. "Just don't let all this blood be for nothing. Don't let this mission go to waste. After it's over, do something with it. Don't go back to your shell and don't let her go back to hers. Just let her see. Let yourself see. Why are you both afraid to feel what you already feel?"

I kept quiet, uncapable of reacting. This guy had trapped me in my own trap. I don't want to feel because that's all I do, because I can't stop. And the things we can't stop... we fear. Like time. Or death. Or me.

"Ok, maybe you should leave the Dr. Phil talk for another time, 'cause there's more of them coming!" Arachnid warned, and the next second, a battalion of soldiers came in from behind us, Bobby being the first one to react and shooting two jets of ice out of his hands to stop the bullets.

I let my claws come out once again and growled. Time for round three.

***

Felicia's POV