1 // Devil in Heels

C H A P T E R   1 :   D E V I L   I N   H E E L S

"They say black cats bring bad luck", I heard his voice whispering in my ear, caressing my neck. A single shiver ran down my spine.

"Well, darling," I answered without turning to face him, "they're probably right."

Hours before

"Dammit." I cursed under my breath as my impatience grew stronger. Not only was I struggling inside of my suit with the late summer heat, I was also exhausted from a day of doing nothing. At least you're working your glutes, I thought to myself. Indeed I was squatting on the roof of a building nearby the jewelry store I was watching. 

I was waiting for the lights of the store to turn off, but much to my dismay the store clerk was taking longer than usual to close it. At this rate I would miss the last episode of my favorite show and not everyone could afford Netflix. Or had a friend that had a friend who could afford Netflix. Really, though, I still had a party to attend.

If there was one thing I didn't like to be late for, it was a party. And, God, what kind of human being would I be if I deprived those fancy rich CEOs' of my delightful presence? For the sake of humanity, I would have to prevent them from boring each other to death. 

A sigh of exasperation escaped my lips as my ears became more alert, ready to pick on any unsual, alarming sounds. I couldn't wait any longer. I didn't want to wait any longer. Remaining unseen, cloaked by the darkness, I took a look at the streets beneath my feet. They were empty and silent, the only lights coming from the jewelry store. Ugh, what was taking him so long? Was he having an affair inside or what? Perhaps with himself?

I held a chuckle and, without making a noise, swiftly jumped of the roof, landing smoothly in front of the store and making sure the employee did not see me. A smirk popped on my face when I scanned my outfit. Believe it or not, in a job like mine, uniforms were very important. My black leather costume was currently closed, but could easily be opened at the front to reveal my favoured cleavage. My cat mask was placed on my face, hiding my features but making my bright green eyes stand out. My white gloves matched my curly platinum blond hair that fell in waves down my back. 

Satisfied with my appearance and relishing on the adrenaline pulsing in my veins, I pushed the door open and entered the store. I loved this sensation, the rush of danger. I worked on thrill and ran in batteries of risks. That was the real reward. Jewelry didn't even matter that much to me, I mainly stole it to sell it and survive in the world of capitalism. Of course sometimes a piece would catch my eye and I just had to stick with it. Some gemstones were irresistible.

But make no mistake, even thieves like me were guided by a moral compass. We had rules and boundaries we never crossed. Mine were:

1. I only stole jewelry. Nothing else. I tried to limit the damage as much as I could and not hurt innocent people, but sometimes, collateral damage happened. Still, elder people and kids were when possible completely avoided.

2. I never, ever stole from those who had even less than me.

3. When and if I was feeling generous, I would help other people in need. I knew what that was. I knew what was like to strugggle and be alone, desperate, and hopeless, and not having anyone to turn to. Not everyone could do what I did. If I really had to live with these awful powers, I could at least use them for something good once in a while.

4. If during my nighttime adventures I saw or heard someone doing something that pissed me off, which included many things but especially violence and assault, I would kick their asses. Simple as that.