44 // The Tornado To My Volcano

C H A P T E R   44 :   T H E   T O R N A D O   T O   M Y   V O L C A N O

"I'm breathing in, and breaking down
I feel my time is running out
The fire in my heart will burn me to the ground
I did my part, I tried my best
The things I'm fighting to protect
Always shatter into pieces in the end

I'm up in blood, I'm runnin' dry
My heart's been beating overtime
To help this broken body live another night

Battlecry, is the damage done?
Who has lost and who has won?
Who will be there when my life's support is gone?"

Logan's POV

At the same time

As we ran through the hallways of the base, all we saw wherever we looked was signs of struggle. There was blood everywhere, on the floor, the walls, even the doors and sometimes the ceiling. Several HYDRA men were down, either unconscious or dead, many of them shot, burnt or with scratches all over their bodies. All kinds of guns were spread across the floor carelessly, most of them broken or out of bullets.

And the worst part was I could now smell her everywhere, in every drop of blood, in every atom of oxygen, and still I couldn't see her, as if this was just some kind of wicked game the universe was playing with me. We fought our way through any guards, led by my audition that was catching sounds of a big fight some hallways away from ours, but before we could get any closer, I heard a large sum of soldiers coming out of doors and making their way towards us. I looked up at the kids quickly. They were tired; even I was.

"Guys, we're closer than ever." I spoke fast. "I can feel it. But there's a big group coming at us right now. If we all fight them, we'll lose time and we can't afford that. You have to get past them and ran across some more hallways, I'm sure it's where she is. I'll hold these bastards back."

"Logan, we can't leave you behind." Bobby protested, shaking his head.

"You don't have a choice. We're here for her, not for me."

"But you're part of the group." Bianca intercepted.

"And that's why, as a part of the group, I have to stay here and buy you time. It's called teamwork, guys."

"He's right." Lewis said. "Besides, we all know who has the upper hand in a fight. They don't say you're the best there is at what you do for nothing."

I nodded at him, thankful. Then I looked at the other three at the same time HYDRA turned the corner.

"Be careful." Bobby said, giving me a last glance before he pulled Lewis and Bianca to his sides and created a slide of ice above the dumbfounded faces of the soldiers so they could pass over them while Spider-Man used the ceiling and swung with his webs ably. Wait, why am I praising the kid?

I waited for them to disappear into the next hallway before making my claws come out, the metallic sound catching their attention. Then I howled and roared and ran towards them, stopping the first bullets with my claws as the next ones hit my torso again and again. I let out a menacing snarl and started slashing and piercing, the blood gluing onto my skin like leeches.

Soon enough my heart was the only one beating in that hallway and I moved to the next one, the sounds from the other fights unfolding getting louder. She had to be okay, she had to. I couldn't even picture going through all of this just to find out she was dead in the end.

With a new sequence of grunts, I clashed against the next unit, and I could no longer see the metal in my claws due to the blood, but then something stung my neck like a wasp's sting and a sudden, excruciating agony took over me, making me fall down onto my knees, the feeling resembling the time when Magneto twisted the adamantium skeleton inside me. It felt like every inch of my flesh was being ripped out from within me.