4 // Get Ready for the Aftershocks

C H A P T E R   4 :   G E T   R E A D Y   F O R   T H E   A F T E R S H O C K S

"You're headed towards the cafeteria?" Alex asked me as people gazed curiously at us. Most girls' eyes were having breakfast with his and Roberto's faces, but apart from that and  from the amount of stares they were receiving, I understood their visits to the school were uncommon but extremely cherished. The two seemed about my age, perhaps even older and from their interactions it was obvious they were used to each other's presence. They behaved like a team.

I nodded.

"Want some company?" Roberto offered with a kind smile. Now that he wasn't trying to impress me, he was quickly becoming more pleasant. Most people were more beautiful when they didn't try, anyway.

"Tempting... but no. I can see you're famous around here. If I walk into that cafeteria holding your hands I'll never be seen as me. I need to go in there alone to make a statement by myself. I was not made to hide behind anyone's shadow."

But my own.

"Brave." Alex nodded approvingly. "Most people on their first day would take advantage of our popularity here to try and quickly make a reputation for themselves. Most people would jump at the first chance they'd have to not be alone."

"Most people is a blurry, abstract concept, isn't it?" I shrugged. "Most people is never a single person. So, are you members of the X-Men?"

"I am." Alex answered simply.

"I'm trying." Roberto said at the same time.

"Which means you won't be seeing us around here as much as you'd like." Alex added with a smug smile. I winked at him playfully to hide my disappointment. Seemed like everyone I took a liking to eventually run away. Or made me run away.

"I'll try not to forget about you. When are you leaving?"

Alex shrugged. "We never know. When we're needed."

"You know what," Robert suggested, his dark eyes piercing mine, "why don't you forget about the cafeteria and come with us to the kitchen instead? There's no pressure there and I make awesome tapioca omelets. It would be a shame if you never got to try one."

"Or two." I winked happily. If there was one thing I couldn't refuse, it was food. Or the beginning of a bond.

***

After breakfast, Alex and Roberto had some X-Men issues to take care of so I went outside to enjoy my free morning. It was a sunny day and some students were already having classes outside: a group was running along the forest while another engaged in hand-to-hand combat. I watched them for a while, evaluating their technique. Some were very good. None was excellent. No one had been trained like me, I suppose, and it was for their best. No one should ever have to be trained like me.

Seeing them in action increased my impatience to get down to business. I was pumped for the physical classes. I took a paper out of my bag and checked my schedule once again:

8.30 – 10.00 – Genetic and Mutation

10.15 – 11.45 – Training Combat (Private)

12.00 pm – 1.30 pm – Chemistry

1.30 – 3.00 – Lunch Time

3.00 – 4.30 – Biology

4.45 – 6.15 - Training Combat

6.30 – 7.30 – Training Combat (Private)

I sighed. I couldn't let go of the private printed on the paper. All the secrecy of Charles around my teacher was igniting my curiosity even further. Was it a woman or a man? Which one would I prefer? I wondered if my mentor was the same guy Charles had told me about on my way here. The one that was at the same time different and similar to me, whatever that meant.