34 // Above and Beyond

C H A P T E R   34  :   A B O V E   A N D   B E Y O N D 

"I'm not bullet proof when it comes to you
Don't know what to say when you made me the enemy
After the war is won
There's always the next one
I'm not bullet proof when it comes to you

I do what it takes to make this right
But we got to stop before the regret
After the war is won
There's always the next one
I'll do what it takes to make this right"

Logan's POV

I took a long drag on my cigar and slowly blew the smoke out, watching as it gradually faded in the cold air of December. I was supposed to have started the class five minutes ago, but Scott had gotten on my nerves that morning and I needed my solace. Besides, the kids didn't seem to be in a rush to train in such a low temperature, chatting casually among them.

I was trying not to hear their conversations out of respect, which didn't prove to be difficult as I found myself staring at Felicia. She and some other guy seemed to be flirting, and my jaw involuntarily tensed.

I cursed under my breath and looked away, trying to block whichever way my heart insisted on feeling. That stupid ticker never chose well, anyway. Why her, out of everyone? She was my student, she was impossible to figure out, and she was more than a hundred years younger than me. But then again, wasn't everyone?

I knew I shouldn't be thinking so much about her, and yet I couldn't avoid it. My mind went back to her birthday weeks ago, to when she had made our claws touch and a dormant side of mine had awaken. And now I had no fucking idea what to do with this permanent prickling in me that kept craving her. Felicia was the closest thing I had to getting drunk. And the more I wanted the hangover gone, the more it stayed.

I shook my head to disband these untamed thoughts, relishing on the warm smoke invading my lungs, but my ears perked up at the sound of familiar steps making their way towards me. Suddenly there she was in front of me and there was nothing I could do to stop my brain from processing her entirely, from her hands shoved into the pocket of her hoodie to that scent of hers that I couldn't quite name. Orchids, perhaps, with traces of vanilla and spice, maybe cinnamon.

"What?" I blurted out, my bad mood getting the best of me. "Can't kids these days wait for more than five seconds?"

She offered me her sly smirk in response, and only then did I notice the other students behind her, looking at us expectantly.

"We were thinking maybe we could train inside today? It's freezing cold out here."

I raised an eyebrow and pointed at the other kids with my chin.

"They sent you to ask me that?"

"They said there was a greater possibility of you accepting if I was the one asking, but I think it's the other way around. You always seem to have so much fun telling me no."

Something in her words burned inside me and made my lungs falter, far more than the smoke itself. I took the cigar out of my mouth and noticed her eyes trailing my every move. I knew she didn't like me smoking but that was another thing I couldn't quit. I had the tendency to like what killed me.

"Let's go." I said, because suddenly it was unbearable staying in my own head. Felicia raised her eyebrows but followed me along with the rest of the students towards the mansion.

"I knew you could do it." I heard one of them say. "If there's anyone that can persuade Wolverine, it's you."

I gritted my teeth, annoyed at how it was true. I couldn't afford having soft spots. Especially since Felicia was the hardest one of them.