Epilogue

E P I L O G U E

May 2016

"Peter." I said, my legs dangling in the void at the same pace as his as we sat on the roof ledge of a tall building in the city that was ours and yet nobody's. I guessed that was the true beauty of New York; the fact it seemed to have a life of its own, not belonging to anyone but itself and the sky it touched with its towers of steel and concrete. "Do you remember those times when we used to sneak out of your Aunt's house and climb to the roof? It seems like ages ago."

"Of course I do. We still do that now, though in a different way." Peter chuckled behind his mask, his arms stretched out behind him as he leaned back. The sun was setting, sending rays of color throughout the sky like one of Pollock's paintings. There was something about how the colors merged, orange and pink and blue and lilac, little fireworks of art, as if nature was the greatest painter of them all. It made me feel happy. Complete. Everything lately had been making me feel that way. I had feared the start of another school year in the mansion and Logan's return would change things between us, but if anything, it just made them better. A little distance was good for us, it gave us space to breathe, and then that made us crave for each other more. So when we were together... we created something close to how the sky looked now, at dusk. Everything was exploding. "There's much less tension involved."

I laughed, because only laughter served as a fit soundtrack to a sky like that. "You're right. Speaking of which, Bobby and Romeo are still together, and better than ever. Swear I've never seen two lovebirds so in love, well, except for you and Mary Jane, of course."

"That's because you can't see yourself and Logan from an outer perspective. Remember when you made me see all the pictures you took on your not-romantic-trip?"

"I didn't make you see them, you wanted to!" I protested, turning my head over my shoulder to face him.

"True, but that's because I had no idea I'd mostly be seeing you two snogging and smooching. I could barely see the backgrounds behind your glued faces!"

"Oh, shut up." I told him, knowing he was just kidding. I kept those pictures to myself. "Do you know Alex and Lorna are kinda in a relationship? He's been very present for her ever since that thing with the Maximoff twins happened, more than the Brotherhood has been, and so they're... well, it's weird, but they're experiencing their own version of love. I guess I can say the same about Rogue and Gambit, though their version is more 'Let's punch each other's faces and annoy everyone around us with our bantering'. And I'm not even gonna talk about Piotr and Kitty, those two are solid as a rock. Like an institution, or something."

"You know, we should organize a date for the single ones. Harry, Bianca, Roberto... think it would be fun." Peter suggested, straightening himself with excitement.

"Yeah, 'cause that would go so well. I don't think they'd even get to the table, one word from Harry and Bianca and Roberto would be running away."

"Ah, don't be so mean!" Peter joked. "You and Harry are getting along quite well, from what I've seen. And I really appreciate that."

"He's... not as bad as I thought." I admitted with a small, conspicuous smile. "But still, that idea sucks."

"Well, I tried. And have I mentioned how proud I am that you're going to have an exhibition all for yourself in that art museum with a very fancy, complicated name?"

"Yes, you have." I chuckled in delight. "About a hundred times. But thank you, I'm really happy about it."

"And your art shop is going great as well!"