37 // Double-edged Sword

C H A P T E R   37 :   D O U B L E - E D G E D   S W O R D

❝ I sleep with the wolves in my head and wake up in my own blood. 

We love the things that kill us. ❞

– Christopher Poindexter

"Nothing is perfect but your imperfections are quaint
And your love is worth it and for that I will wait
And though you hate me when you have a turn
I drive you crazy but you always return

Loving you's a bloodsport
Fighting in a love war
It's not what I'm in love for, I'm yours,
But I dont know if you can help it, maybe I'm just being selfish

Although you love me, sometimes we're mean
Things can get ugly, but we're still a team
We are an army, that breaks from within, but
That's why we're stronger, and that's how we'll win"

"I hate this." Bobby announced as he sat in front of me in the canteen for lunch. "The mansion feels so empty."

"You're right." Bianca nodded, her usual cheerful face disheartened. "It sucks. We should have gone on the mission too."

After two busy months of holidays and new faces popping by to revisit old friends, February arrived strangely calm, and the mansion became even lonelier when Alex and Roberto were assigned a X-Men mission along with Rogue, Kitty and Colossus.

"The teachers didn't even want to send the others." Bobby remarked. "Logan had to fight to get them on board, saying it would be good for them if they could test their abilities on field. But they couldn't send us all."

"Yeah, and it sucks not being the chosen ones." Bianca continued. "I mean, Rogue didn't even want to go since Gambit is going too and you know how those two get when they're in the same room... most likely they will ruin the mission before even getting there and—"

She shut up abruptly, eyeing Bobby cautiously. "Bobby, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..."

"It's okay." He said with a small smile. "The breakup was mutual, and I'm fine. I think we're better off as friends, to be honest. And some time apart will do us good, I think."

Bobby and Rogue had broken up before she left for the mission, but I knew it wasn't because they couldn't handle the distance; it was because they could no longer handle the closeness. It was obvious Rogue was interested in Remy, no matter how much she denied it; and Bobby seemed to be dealing with issues of his own.

"I'm just really glad it wasn't one of those awkward breakups where you go from lovers to strangers. I love that you kept being friends." Bianca smiled.

"Of course, that's how we started in the first place. Rogue will always mean a lot to me." Bobby assured, tossing a grape into his mouth that never made it to its destination because Lewis literally jumped out of nowhere and caught it with his fingers, tossing it into his mouth instead.

"Dude!" Bobby protested as Lewis sat next to me and threw Bobby an impertinent smile.

"The conversation was getting cheesy, someone had to save it. If I wanted to die from corniness, I'd read Nicholas Sparks."

"Funny you say that since I've caught you watching The Notebook." Bobby replied, mimicking his smirk.

"Dude, Ryan Gosling. Need I say more?"