Men Don't Cry

David POV

I held Velvets hand as the nurses cared for her

She had some fractured ribs and her ears were all cut up.

My heart fluttered as her entire body was basically bandaged.

"What did you ever do to deserve this?" I ask her sleeping body.

"You were born with these adorable little ears, and yet they cause you so much pain and suffering," I say as I want to rub her ears gently...she likes it when I do that...but in the state they are in, I think it would hurt.

I felt like crying...but I knew I couldn't...I've always been taught to never cry.

Flashback

"Come on, Son," my father says as he grabs my shoulder

"You can't be crying like this...not even over this," he says with his own sad voice...he himself sounded on the brink of tears.

"Why? Why can't I cry?" I ask as I slouch over the casket.

"It's because we are men...and Men don't cry," he says with heart

"Why can't men cry?" I ask as he looks a little flustered...he took a while to give me an answer

"It's because crying is a sign of weakness. Men like us are supposed to be strong with no weaknesses to protect the ones we love," he says as I get even more confused

"Then why? If you're supposed to be strong to protect the people you love....then why is Mom dead!" I yelled as he looked baffled...he doesn't know what to say.

The look on his face...it wasn't one of anger or disgust.

His face was...it was... I don't know.

Regret, Sadness, loneliness...I couldn't read his face.

"Some things...we can't help...I'm a weak man," he says looking at the ground in shame

"I'm sorry I couldn't protect her," he says as his voice breaks.

"I've only been stronger...if only I had been a better Husband, she'd still be with us," he says as I stare at him.

I picked myself and hugged him.

He returned my hug and made a promise

"I promise dear, I'll protect our pride and joy," he says as my shoulder gets damp.

End of Flashback

The listen he taught me has stuck with me till now.

Ever since that day I've never shed a tear...I've had water block my vision...but I've never cried since then.

I hear the door burst open and I see a brunette run in

"Is she alright?" Coco asks me as she sprints to Velvets bedside.

"The nurses said she will be fine, she's just sleeping," I say as Coco breathes a sigh of relief.

"Thank god...thanks so much for finding her...I wouldn't have noticed her absence until it was too late," she says ashamed.

"It's fine," I assure her as she frowns

"Who did it?" She asks with anger in her voice.

"I'll take care of it," I mutter as she tries to hide a grin.

"Ok," she mutters as she grabs Velvet's hand.

"Do you mind if I leave for a couple of minutes?" I ask her as she nods