Kabanata 5

Kabanata 5: Connection

The night breeze lingered in my skin, as I put my hand, out of the window. The crescent moon above the horizon shines like, how the candlelight light up the dark room, along with the million stars. The silent ambience gives me more peace and makes the connection between us calm.

"There's a myth that says brown eyes used to shine like a moon, and to hide their charm, they where colored by the river of heaven's honey." Ms. Carson finally breaks the silence.

"Where did you get that?" I asked, still glued my eyes outside.

"Internet," she chuckled. "I said that because you have those enchanting brown eyes that, when someone stares at it, they will end up being hypnotized. That's how magnificent your eyes are." She complimented.

This is the second time she complimented me with her sincere and unique words. I don't know but, it feels like, I'm really beautiful, when she's the one complimenting me. Her choice of words is really amazing. I feel delighted.

"By the way, is Rich close to you?" I asked, flinching the compliment she just uttered.

No, I appreciated her words. It's just that I couldn't contain this strange feeling I'm feeling inside me. Her words are too much to handle.

"Unbelievable!" Asik nito na ikinalingon ko sa kaniya. "But, to answer your question, yes. We're close to each other. Hindi lang halata kapag nasa University. I'm maintaining my profile as a serious Professor. And, the owner of the University didn't want the whole population know that we are half siblings." Sagot niya sa akin.

"Why?" I asked, curious.

"Because he doesn't want that to spread and have falsely rumors about our family's past. He doesn't want that to be the reason for the University's downfall, once it gets painted." She answered seriously. "Maraming gustong bumagsak ang Carson University. At kapag nalaman nila na we had horrendous past, they might use it as a weapon to bring down the University."

"I understand." I understand. "Can you tell me about your closeness?"

"He loves ice cream and so do I. We love to stargaze. We have telescope. Kapag dumadalaw siya sa amin ay lagi kaming nasa bakuran, magtatayo ng tent at tititigan ang mga butuin sa kalawakan. Gano'n din kapag pumupunta ako sa bahay nila." Masayang sagot niya at 'di kalauna'y ngumiti ito nang malungkot. "He was my only best friend. Lahat ng gusto niya ay binibigay ko. We play, we watch movies together, we travel to different places, we will do what we want to do. But, now..."

"It's okay if you can't continue answering. I'm just curious about how close you are." Wika ko sa kaniya.

"Everything changed, when I became a Professor by force." She bitterly laugh. "Simula no'n, bihira na lang kaming magkita. Lagi na rin akong busy kaya hindi na kami nagkakasama. Mas lumala pa nang sabihin sa akin ni Papa na bawal kaming magsama ni Rich sa University."

"I'm sorry," I uttered.

She flashed a feeble smile. "It's fine, Akerson. At least, you know something about me now." She took a glimpse of me. "You should start giving me free ice cream by tomorrow. Cookies and Cream is my favorite flavor." She giggled.

Napailing na lang ako. Her mood changes swiftly.

After that, was a long comfortable ride. She played some old songs and also sing along with. Her voice has a soothing effect on me. She clearly sings with all her heart. And, I just found myself enjoying the ride with her.

"I already missed doing this." Sabi niya bago tumingin sa kalawakan.

Kasalukuyan kaming nandito sa isang talampas. She said, the starry night sky comfort her whenever she feels upset or not in the mood. I just let her. She was so mesmerized by the calm, dark blue night sky. She even smiled at me, when she said the star say hello to her because the star she was looking, twinkled with light.