Kabanata 24

Kabanata 24: Beginning

One step, two steps...

Tears streamed as I walked towards her. My emotions burst for I missed her so much. Day by day, without her, it felt like I'm drifting away from the light. The feeling of longing someone yet you can not embrace them, kills me. Now, that I am here, just steps away, seeing her pale and looking exhausted feels like I am near to curse the universe for that.

Trembling, I held her hand. I caress the back of her palm with my thumb. I gently touched her cheeks, not making any sound for I don't want her hear me crying. I kissed the back of her palm while looking directly to her face.

And, right there, I felt this heaviness that I've been dealing through.

"What you felt is what she felt when she was alone. Thy love was already found and never let go again. Hold thy hand for it will never slips away again. Hear thy heartbeat for it will be thy melody of love." I felt Hope's hand in my shoulder and it made my loads lighter.

"I've never thought of something like this might happen but it happened swiftly. I've never thought that she's suffering more than of what I could imagined." I gently put down Elionhir's hand and faced Hope. "H-hindi ko alam na aabot sa ganito—"

"And won't be surprise if something might happen more than this." She seriously said. Napatingin si Hope sa mga kasama ko. "Please, can we talk first?"

Rich led their way out.

"What do you mean?"

"Hindi dito magtatapos ang kwento. To be honest, this is just the beginning. Marami pa kayong haharapin na pagsubok. Hindi ko 'to sinasabi para panghinaan ka ng loob. I'm saying this to ensure that you know what decision to make, what action will be the best move, and to say that I'll always be here, watching both of you." She enunciated. She faced Elionhir. "Love brought you in this mess and love will also bring you to what you both deserve."

"Hope, your voice brought me in light." I said when I realized that her voice was the one I was hearing in my head. "I-ikaw, sino ka ba talaga?"

She smiled brightly. "I am Hope and I am your hope." She meaningfully answered. "Hindi pa ito ang tamang panahon para makilala mo ang totoong ako."

"If that time comes, I hope we already survive being in pain." I smiled weakly. "I have a strong faith but I couldn't blame myself for doubting my own self. Only Elionhir can make me do of something I've never expect to do."

"Alam kong hindi lang ito ang gagawin mo sa susunod. Always choose what's the best for all of you. Sa pagkakataong iyon, may masasaktan at masasaktan and that's normal. Hindi ko mapipigilan ang masasakit na pangyayari pero kaya kong pigilan ang anumang maling gagawin mo."

I nodded, trying to sink in everything she just said. Hindi ko na alam ang sasabihin ko. Para akong nablangko. Ramdam ko na rin ang pagod at panghihina. Nang mapansin 'yon ni Hope ay inalalayan akong umupo sa monoblock na katabi ng kama ni Elionhir.

"One more thing before I go," she paused for a second to looked at me and Elionhir, "she will not suffer alone for thy pain will be your pain."

Nagtataka ko siyang tinignan. "'Yung naramdaman ko kanina, gano'n ba 'yon?" She nodded as a response. "H-hindi ba pagdudusa na ito? B-bakit namin kailangan pagdaanan ito?" I clenched my fist. "B-bakit parang pinaparusahan kami ng mundo? Hope, tell me, b-bakit namin kailangan maghirap?" Muli na namang namuo ang mga luha ko.

"Hindi ko 'yan masasagot, pasensya na." Napatingin ito sa labas ng bintana kung saan tanaw na tanaw ang langit. "Hindi ako ang may hawak ng kapalaran ninyong dalawa. Nandito lang ako para gabayan at maging sandalan niyong dalawa. Kung magkakaroon ka ng sama ng loob sa akin, naiintindihan ko."