Kabanata 19

Kabanata 19: Eavesdrop

Death. That's the consequence.

They said, death is the only thing that is promised. It always been in our side since the day we brought to life. No one can ever take death away from us. It's been in our shadow. We can delay the date of our death but as a promised, it always been granted.

I remember the time Rich died, piece of me died that day and still in misery after. I know life will never bother him again but the agony in me wanted to bring him back to life. Standing at his funeral, devastated while witnessing one of the saddest event in my life. I never knew what life would it be without him.

And, now... love made me decide to bring him back to life.

But... also love made me realize of who truly am.

"Love, you good?" Ms. Carson asked. She slowly drove and parked the car. "Should we cancel our errand for this night?"

I immediately shook my head. "No, no. I'm good. No worries."

"Kanina ka pa nakatulala. Something wrong? Something bothering you?" Her eyes seemed worried. I gently shook my head again. She let out a heavy sigh and face the steering wheel again. "If you're tired, I will not force you to make an escape. Just tell me."

"I'm not tired. A bit sleepy, I guess. Maybe the inner child in me is feeling the comfort she's looking for for years." I held her hand that is on the steering wheel. "We've been asking for a little time to escape, now that is here... ngayon pa ba? We're not cancelling it. I'm sorry if I made you worry."

"Kyrie,"

"Hush, love. I'm good." I smiled at her when she faced me. Lumapit ako sa kaniya para halikan ang kaniyang noo. "Drive safety." I whispered.

We drove for hours to escape from suffocating silence. The pitch black atmosphere made the thousands of tiny points of light twinkled. I felt the chill as the familiar night breeze engulfed me. City lights aglow eliminating the total absence of light.

It's been a while...

"This will be our forever place," she retorted as her eyes hypnotized by the teensy from below. "I felt home. This is all I wanted. Malayo sa magulo, maingay, at mapanghusgang lugar. I want peace and silence. I also want to move without any pair of eyes monitoring me."

"Be who you are this night," I said.

"I am who I am tonight. Being with you is being with my true self." She uttered. She stood up from sitting. "Kyrie, what if we build a house away from them? Kung saan tayong dalawa lang? Kung saan masaya tayong dalawa?" She smiled widely.

Only if we make it until the end. I mentally said to myself.

I stood up facing her. "Love," I sighed, not having words to say. "I am happy with you... kahit saan pa 'yan. It's just that —"

Her smile faded. "I know," she turned her back, facing the city lights. "I'm sorry for dragging you down in this mess. Kyrie, what if I didn't interfere? Would you be happy with Rich? What if I didn't —"

"There's nothing to be apologize for. We didn't know that this situation will be headed us. And, maybe I am happy with Rich if ever but the fact that you made me the happiest, I will never give this feeling up." I answered whole-heartedly.

I gave her a back hug. I slowly moved my body that made us sway gently. "Panalangin ko sa habang buhay, makapiling ka, makasama ka, 'yan ang panalangin ko..." I softly sang in her ear. "At hindi papayag ang pusong ito, mawala ka sa 'king piling, mahal ko iyong dinggin..." I continued.