Kabanata 21

Kabanata 21: Confused

The world seemed so dark and everybody's eyes were on me. Acting like a bulletproof was exhausting. Hatred and judgements are climbing my walls of isolation. Suffocation tends to kill me rapidly. And, this loneliness...

I gasped. "Ma, do I deserve this?" I felt a tear crawled in my cheeks while looking at my parents grave. "Pa, you still proud of having me? Maybe a bit disappointing." I chuckled with a touch of pain. "Ma, Pa... Do I really deserve this too much hatred? They see me as the dirtiest student in our school for having an affair with my Professor. But I am holding onto her words that... she's not cheating on no one."

"Tita, Tito, please tell to your daughter to ignore people that throw dirt on her face. Tell her too that she doesn't deserve all of these. Your daughter is so brave. You both must be proud of her." I was stunned for hearing his voice. "Your daughter is important to me. And, I'll protect her at all costs. She had been my only person to run into when I struggled and had a problem before. And, now, this is my turn to do it for her."

Scary, how this agreement will turn into at the end. Would it turn into beautifully tragic or tragically beautiful? An end with a perfect tragedy or a meaningful end with a tragedy behind it? But what is scarier? Both don't go at it seems. It means not in the choices. It is scary how everything; time, pain, and sacrifices leads to nothing but a painful tragedy.

"Tita, Tito... I want to tell you something." Rich sat next to me in indian sit. "Your daughter fell in love with an amazing person I've ever met."

I felt something crashing inside me. "Rich, you don't have to." I saw pain in his smile and that made me guilty of... I don't know. I just felt guilty.

"She's my only sister, Elionhir. She's been good to me ever since. She protected me from this cruel world. I love her so much that I could give her my favorite ice cream when there's no one left for her. Tita, Tito... a combination of beautiful adjectives for her isn't enough to describe her kind heart and beautiful appearance." He smiled at them as if my parents were alive. "But, life isn't complete without struggles. Even they both love each other, there is really some times that they will be separated to grow and to realize something that could benefit in the future. My sister really loves your daughter so much that even if it hurt her, she'll do everything to secure your daughter's future and return everything she sacrificed in this lifetime."

Kumunot ang noo ko sa huling sinabi niya. I looked at Rich but he's still enjoying having a conversation with my parents. And, it made me realize of something... Elionhir only thinks of me... but why? Why would she put me above all? Why would she secure my future?

And something suddenly echoed in my head...

You will not go on the same phase again, Akerson. Trust me.

An unfamiliar high-pitched sound lingered in my ears. I closed my eyes and even held my head when unexpected pain hit it. I tried to pat Rich shoulder but ended up being frustrated, out of confusion, when my hand passed through to his shoulder. I looked at my parents grave and it led me to complete confusion when I saw Elionhir's name instead of my parent's.

Is this already the end? No, no, no... this is not what's supposed to be the end. No, no, no... I need to fight for her, for my future, and for our future.

I couldn't understand what was happening but all I could remember is I passed out after seeing something unbelievable. Nagising lang ako sa pagtapik ni Rich sa akin. Bumungad sa akin ang payong na nakatutok sa araw.

"I thought you were listening. But, I do understand... you must be tired of everything kaya hinayaan na kitang matulog sa balikat ko." Kalmadong sambit nito.